Recessed Light Fixture Accoutrement

A little background…
The inspiration came from the highest paying commission I ever did, a kitchen light fixture that was recessed into the apex of a dome in a penthouse condo kitchen. For scale, the dome ID was 10 feet in diameter, the 3/8" steel disc that forms the fixture was 3 feet in diameter. The glass prisms are a foot long, and reveal by 4". When you turned it on, it looked like the voice of God could emanate from it.

Acrylic transmits light like glass… He thought. :smirk:
( the red line is me marking the depth of the acrylic disc in the black aluminum bulb housing)

You don’t want to do this.

A magnetic mount.

Fingers are still sore from weeding and press-fitting 2" long Acrylic slivers into same sized holes.
I’ve got 16 recessed fixtures in the ceiling. Yeah - that’s not gonna happen.

I will take this opportunity to commend the Team on improvements in file processing times, pause, and all the other ways my machine has evolved recently. Gratitude. :beer:

37 Likes

If that fixture had been installed in my kitchen, my kids and I would have been compelled to stand under it and say “energize!”

Sorry. Geek genes are strong.

Cool fixture, though. And I love the idea for the recessed feature…there’s gotta be an easier way!

18 Likes

Oh, I’m sure there is, this is merely the first iteration… however, I doubt there will be any further. :grin:

3 Likes

Well, that’s incredible! Bravo!
(That acrylic isn’t going to get too hot under that lamp?)

clap2

2 Likes

Looks like an LED bulb to me. No heat issue. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very perceptive. 11.5 W. About body temp.

5 Likes

I feel for whoever has to change the 8 halide light bulbs in that thing… :grimacing:

3 Likes

looks beautiful! I have definitely done those jobs where you’re like “awesome, that turned out great! …I’m never F’ing doing that again.” :smile:

4 Likes

Great job of duplicating the original! It really looks fantastic. I wonder if it would conduct light better if you used that Inventables light guiding acrylic.

Oh go ahead, make another one. :laughing:

3 Likes

Exactly!

@cynd11, good question. I have a small piece of it, but it took about 3/4 of a 20" x 12" sheet of 1/4" to do it.

1 Like

This is when 1/4” acrylic bar and a table saw come to mind.

2 Likes

Wow. .impressive!

1 Like

Happy cake day!

1 Like

You might have heard of Orient & Flume glass company. It seems they put the company in business with a single order for a ceiling “chandelier” that looked like a crystal group about the size of a football field with each crystal a blown glass hexagon of different lengths, In Vegas naturally.

Your project reminds me of that in miniature.

I love it BTW! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

You always amaze us with your ability.

1 Like

Thank you, but it’s really simple compared to the complexity of a lot of the artistic designs on display here. Weeding was the most difficult part of it.
I’m happy with it, but the mental image of it was better than reality. :no_mouth:
The best part was the precision of the glowforge. The reality of having a laser has exceeded my every expectation. I treasure it!

3 Likes

I routinely suffer from that :grin:

4 Likes