Reducing the Kerf

Some softwares decide which side to cut based on if the line was drawn CW or CCW. Is the GF going to use that method?

Not the plan - @Tonyā€™s working out the details. IIRC closed shapes get the kerf on the outside, and you can override that in the print UI.

3 Likes

Yep, youā€™d definitely want to override for holes. Unless the software is smart enough to consider the interior of a closed shape inside another closed shape to be ā€œoutsideā€. (And then wait till you start nesting other parts inside the cutouts of you bigger panels.)

1 Like

Yes when the file comes from a solid modeller then the winding order of holes should be the opposite to outlines. That is how 3D printing and milling works. You donā€™t have to manually point out holes.

Ha ha beat me to itā€¦thats exactly what I was writing then reread the postsā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a lot of software that couldnā€™t figure out which things were suppose to be cut out and which things should be left intact. Being forced to manually select can be a hassle, but at least itā€™s pretty foolproof.

2 Likes

I tried to parse DXF to work this problem out in a utility I had to write to use a 1982 vintage Dyna 2400 desktop mill. This spoke an ur geometrical language predating Gcode. The problem for nested cuts was closer to insoluble than to nontrivial. I gave up and learned to offset paths in the drawing. Would rather cope with manual selection than any delay.

4 Likes