Reinsertable Grid: File and Tutorial

Thanks for the tip - I was stalled trying to figure out how to engrave ~30 notebook covers that are 0.75" thick, and this does exactly what I need. After engraving / scoring a piece of cardboard on top of the GF honeycomb, I took the honeycomb out, stacked up some scrap material, put the grid back in, lined it up with the tape / mark on the GF door. Made a copy of the Grid design, imported my new design into it, placed the work at a good central location. Things didn’t eyeball perfectly lined up, but we get used to that, but I taped a piece of 11x17 tracing paper on top of the work and score an outline. X was perfect, Y was off by 0.25 inches (almost exactly?) towards the door.

Not a big issue - selected everything and moved the design upper-left corner from 0.5,0.5 to 0.5,0.25, redid the engrave of the outline, and it was spot on. I’m just scratching my head why the 0.25 shift in Y if anyone has an idea.

1st pict - GF screen for original grid (but w/ notebooks on bed - I didn’t take a pict when I did the grid). In the GF GUI, I copied this design, marked everything ignore, and imported my new design in so that I could align things inside the GUI as well.

2nd pict - shows 2nd design, in the GUI, with the grid - same overall dimensions, but Y is 0.25 instead of 0.5, and this works perfectly. [I edited the picture to hide the names of my co-workers.]

2 Likes

Never mind! Phew - couldn’t wrap my head around how it could get shifted… when the 2nd notebook finished, and I opened up the lid, and went to do the next two, I realized that as the cardboard was butted up against the bottom “lip” on the bed, which is about 0.25" in from where the edge of the door is, so there is no 0.25" delta here - just depends on whether the grid target can abut the door or not.

2 Likes

This is super awesome, I’ve been trying to understand how to get a more permanent jig set up!
I can see how this would work great for engraving, but how would I go about making a permanent grid system like this for cuts? Does something like that exist?

1 Like

The concept of the tutorial can certainly be expanded and I am sure there is a way for it to work when cutting. I think you would have to determine an anchor point in the crumb tray as opposed to the door of the GF, like I do. Let me know if you find a way that works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All I get are the instructions when I download. Where is the SVG? THANKS!

1 Like

Right click on the grid and save image as svg.

2 Likes

Thanks! I actually didn’t know that one lol. I figured it would show as an attached file.

1 Like