Reminder: Don’t be Stupid

Been using table saws for 30+ years. First thing I have to do is remove the stupid “blade guards”…

I was once active on a local 'bike forum where one particular member talked about doing this or that, that could put you in hospital. When you’re out on a bike, you simply just don’t do that stuff!

Same with power tools. My fingers never go anywhere near the blade on a table saw. There are accessories (push sticks, for example) to use when needed.

4 Likes

Yes. I always removed those too.
I did consider myself very careful too and do use push sticks. Then one day I picked up a narrow cut off after it had passed through the blade and for some careless reason I moved my hand in such a way that my thumb made contact with the far side of the blade. Just enough to tear some skin and kick my hand up and away. It felt way worse than it really was and it scared the daylights out of me. Needless to say, I am much more vigilant these days.

5 Likes

@PrintToLaser I do the same thing with putting something in my way as a reminder. lol

But if I made a sign every location where I have done something stupid or someone else did something stupid, the signs would overlap everywhere. lol Like that time I made a puff pancake in a skillet in the oven, and then wasn’t thinking and grabbed the skillet, without a pot holder…

7 Likes

I have a similar memory. The nick on my finger healed but I have never forgotten the reason I keep my hands clear of blades.

Honestly, though, this is just a reminder to follow the GF policy and never use power tools after wobbly pops.

4 Likes

Lol, as I finish off a job with a beer on the go.

1 Like