Rendering Problem

For a test, I drew a1 inch circle in Autocad, converted the dwg file to jpg and uploaded it to the laser. Upon rendering, the circle measured 6 inches. Any ideas why?

JPEG files don’t really have a resolution, so you can’t depend on them coming in a certain size.

Also, it’s probably not a good choice of format for anything on the Glowforge. It’s not a vector format, so you can’t use it for cuts and scores, and as a raster format, it tends to introduce compression artifacts that result in unwanted dots and fuzziness.

My preference is to use SVG for everything, included embedded bitmaps. Some people prefer PDF. In my opinion, those are the only two good options.

5 Likes

Resolution mismatch. As @chris1 says JPGs aren’t great in a GF for various reasons, even though they can technically be used.

I haven’t tried AutoCad, but if you make your artboard 12x20 it should come in the same size as you designed it (even though you don’t get to use the full 12x20, that’s a measurement it recognizes)

Good advice for vector graphics but not relevant to just a jpeg.

Yup and yup.

That doesn’t necessarily mean use a low quality image though. Just for whomever is reading - resolution being pixels per inch. An image specified as 4x6” at 300 Pixels per Inch would be 1200x1800 pixels. If just the jpeg or png is brought into the GF app, it will size it according to the native resolution of 96 pixels per inch.

SVG or PDF though, you can embed your high-resolution JPEG or PNG into it and it will come in at the expected size.

1 Like

I’m sorry you had issues with your file! I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.