Replacing Carriage Plate Help!

Hello everyone, I finally got my new carriage plate and I am trying to reinstall it. The instructions online make it sound so easy but I am consistently having trouble.

I cant seem to get it on without tweaking the front wheels. Since I cant seem to find a video showing how to I thought I should ask some experts!

Is it just me or is there a trick? Any help would be greatly welcomed -Kara

I believe there is a video showing how to remove in for cleaning in the maintenance section of the online manual. The rear set of rollers are spring loaded so you have to push in towards the front of the machine. Remove the tray and lay a flat mirror on the floor of the laser below the gantry, this will help wonders.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjy9OzJ4pvqAhWKtZ4KHWgtBtIQFjAGegQICxAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.glowforge.com%2Fhc%2Fen-us%2Farticles%2F360034142513-Cleaning-Your-Air-Assist-Fan&usg=AOvVaw1p8AfXQn9qCnVGe5yTG9Hw

3 Likes

As I recall they specify a weird placement of your thumbs and although it’s easy to disregard, doing it that way actually works. It just seemed awkward to me the first time I did it (since the first time I tried I kept finagling it I went back and did it their way and then I did it).

4 Likes

Thanks so much I was able to get it. Once I realized how much pressure to apply on the spring loaded wheels.

3 Likes

Ya its very awkward at first and the last thing I wanted to do was break the wheel!! Thanks for the help

3 Likes

Yes, those springs take a good amount of force, and then the tolerance is close so you have to compress the springs all the way to get the wheels back on the track.

Sneaking up on it is always the best approach, no more force than is required. Your caution is commendable.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with the carriage plate. That’s great to hear that you were able to get it installed. My carriage plate tip is to always go slow and steady. Slowly increase the amount of force to pull the carriage plate forward. Like @PrintToLaser said, those springs are very strong and can take a bit of force to compress.

Since you were able to get the carriage plate installed, I’m going to close this post. If you are still having trouble, please start a new post or reach out at support@glowforge.com.

1 Like