Resizing for different material

i made a prototype of a sign using draft board. i stretched it to be as big as the machine will allow me to cut. after i worked out the kinks and got approval from the client, i put acrylic in my glowforge but had to scale down my design about 10% for it to show up as inside the cut area. is this normal? kinda bumbed that i have to make the final cut smaller after showing the client draft

Does it have engraving or just cuts? The cut area won’t change based on material or speed, but if it has engraving, that can certainly change the workable area depending on the settings.

1 Like

just cuts

Cut area is identical for all materials.

I just checked with a maximum-sized design. No change no matter which material is selected.

Something changed in your design.

the design is still measuring the same dimensions. all i did was open the lid and change material. nothing was edited or moved in the GFUI

1 Like

Check to make sure that the material is pulled far enough forward…the right corner needs to be placed at the spot where the metal grid starts on your tray. (Very easy to push it too far back and then you lose real estate.)

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble.

To better understand the error, , could you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the Glowforge app when this happens? Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible

To take a screenshot:

Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

Hi @matt16. It’s been a while since we’ve seen any activity here, so I’ll go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to create a new thread if you run into any further trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help. Thanks.