Resolved! Glowforge not honoring # of passes

Hi Glowforge Community! I’ve been lurking, learning and admiring up until now, but a technical problem has drawn me out of hiding.

The Proofgrade settings for Thick Draftboard is doing 3 passes and completely charring the edges of the cut. This is especially strange since the material is clearly cut through fully after the first pass. So it seems there’s a bug/error here. Has anyone else run into this? What can I do about it?

In an attempt to remedy the problem, I tried to do a custom cut with only 1 pass, but GF still did multiple passes. I don’t know if it would have done 3 passes again on my custom settings, because I shut off the machine as soon as it started to do the un-needed second pass.

Here’s a sceenshot of my custom settings that somehow had GF doing multiple cut passes:

Help! What’s going on?

I would strongly suspect multiple copies of the same cutline being present in your file. That’s the only way I understand this can happen. If the additional copies are exactly the same as the original they can be hard to see in your vector software. Try clicking on the design and moving it to see if there is another one under there. Or upload your design here (zip it first) and we can check it for you.

7 Likes

Thanks @cynd11 – I checked for duplicate lines before uploading the design, but I’m happy to have someone else take a look in case I’m missing something.

Edit to add dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l536wf4f7iksgsk/Tower_Base_v1_1-4"%20Draftboard.svg?dl=0

Tower_Base_v1_1-4%22%20Draftboard

Thanks for uploading. If I zoom wayyyy in on those figures in outline mode, I see three lines for each of the internal cut parts. So they are not actually duplicates, they are just a smidge different but the laser would cut them so close they appear to be multiples. I would guess they were created by doing an expand operation on a line.

4 Likes

Woohoo, that fixed it! Thanks @cynd11! Haha, I’m glad it was me inexperience and not a problem with the Glowforge!

3 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!