Retirement book cover

We had a bunch of people take early retirement this year. I had someone ask me for advice on how to give a little “oomph” to the cover they were doing, since it was basically a quote by itself.

Shockingly, my first instinct was the laser cutter. So we took the quote, set it up in a nicer stencil font (Kobenhavn Stencil) and cut out of 1/16" acrylic. i did have to do a little manual editing for some of the stencil tabs to make them a little sturdier. The image showing through was a painting Mike did (he does a lot of drawing/painting when he traveled, which was constantly, and post on instagram) of the fields outside of Omaha that you see when you fly in.

53 Likes

Oh that looks very nice!

is Mike the retiree, or the “someone”?

4 Likes

Mike is the retiree. we used a lot of his paintings throughout the book. That was my inspiration when my boss was asking for ideas. I saw the big quote on the front and i saw his paintings throughout. that wheat / corn fields painting jumped out at me as something that would look really good behind a die cut of some sort. and, since he’s in nebraska and most of who’d see the book would be there, it’s pretty obvious what the painting is even through the die cut. and yet still a little abstract.

6 Likes

Looks terrific.

I am having my doubts that your first thought was to use your laser cutter though. Like who does that around here? <G,D&R>

8 Likes

That’s just perfect :smiley:

3 Likes

That looks great! Nothing like a personalized (and artsy) gift!

3 Likes

That looks awesome!

4 Likes

That looks great! Love the quote too!

4 Likes

That makes for a very nice retirement present!

4 Likes

That is such a super idea. Love the painting in the background too. :blush:

2 Likes

Such a thoughtful gift!

3 Likes

Using his drawing to show through makes it extra special! Love gifts with some thought put into them.

2 Likes

Aw man, perfect application for Papyrus

Kidding (ish)

Looks wonderful. Filing away in the inspirations category :slight_smile:

5 Likes

lol… is there a stencil version of papyrus??

edit: because of course there is…

6 Likes

I’m sure you could make one easy enough since you reinforced the stencil font.

I just couldn’t help myself… sorry (not really sorry) :smiley:

EDIT: I’m glad you found the stencil version!

2 Likes

i posted it so some other poor sucker could get stuck using it. it’s such an anathema to me i don’t think i could.

2 Likes

I figured you’d get the joke right away. It really never crossed my mind that you’d facepalm :man_facepalming: and go re-cut.

Then again, it was good enough for Avatar :smiley:

2 Likes

i’ve spent the past 30 years critiquing film credits. so things like that kill me.

i miss the days of saul bass.

1 Like

I couldn’t shell out that many monies for it.

1 Like

I love it! The painting coming through looks so cool. As far as fonts, that’s a great choice. Another one I’ve been wanting to try is Neoneon, I bet that would look great too.

2 Likes