Returning after a long hiatus

Hi guys! It’s been…almost 2 years since I last visited here, and just about that long since I last used my Laser. My family was getting our house ready to move and ended up sending my Laser to live with a good friend for 1 or 2 months until we could find a house and sell out house. Right after sending it off, COVID hit and stalled EVERYTHING. 18+ months later I’m JUST getting the laser back and getting ready to build a new desk for it and a new crafting nook.

I don’t know if I know anyone in here anymore, but I’m ready to start making some new Glowforge Friends!

37 Likes

Glad to see you’re back! I would be new to you since then but nice to meet you:-)

7 Likes

There are a lot of us new ones on here (like me) that you’ll get to know. Welcome back!

6 Likes

Welcome back!

7 Likes

Welcome back! I hope your friend took good care of the laser!

Last time I lent a friend something, they forgot who they borrowed it from and donated it. I go to the library every so often now to visit the gift my husband gave me for Mother’s Day.

14 Likes

I remember you! Welcome back. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Waves Hi! @rvogt, @ellencadwell, @CMadok it’s great to start to meet new friends. @dwardio and @geek2nurse it’s SO great to see some of the “old crowd” is still kicking around these parts. I was very involved the first 2-3 years and then fell off when buying a house got in the way of things. I used to have 100% read on this forum, but I think I’m going to let that one go…I can’t catch up on about 2 years of missed posts. I hope you all have been having a blast with the Glowforge and will help me get up to speed again, I have plans y’all.

13 Likes

I remember you! Welcome back. You’re the pirate guy, right?

8 Likes

@Xabbess YES!!!

7 Likes

Welcome back! I bet you were losing your mind knowing you had such a cool toy, just out of reach!

7 Likes

My friend who has been babysitting the laser (Ramoth) has been showing me the projects that he was making on it. It was both satisfying to know that it wasn’t sitting stagnant and unloved as well as helping a good friend of mine to get bit by the laser bug, but it was also frustrating with COVID going on that I really couldn’t go and “visit” and run random jobs through it. I’m sure we could have worked something out, but the entire COVID + moving process REALLY messed it up.

10 Likes

That would have been torture for me :smiley: He gets to use my machine to make cool things while I’m stuck looking at the pictures. Super frustrating.

But glad nothing untoward happened to it and it’s still working well. Would have been awful if it decided to need a new black cable or a return trip to the mother ship.

Is Ramoth going to get their own laser now?

6 Likes

Ramoth is the name I gave my Laser (Reference to the Dragonriders of Pern and their fire breathing dragons, Ramoth was the “Ultimate” Queen Dragon in the series). My friend is most likely going to get his own laser, so he has my referral code if he does decide to pull the trigger.

10 Likes

LOL! I was going to mention “did you know that Ramoth was a dragon?” but figured you & your friend had heard that 100 times :smiley: I do a lot of work with offshore folks so didn’t think it odd that Ramoth might have been your friend’s name.

I was sad when I ran out of books in the Pern series. :frowning:

Her son wrote some with her before she died but I don’t think he kept it up afterwards.

3 Likes

Well he has had one or two solo books (I didn’t really care for his style, and he introduced that liquid could make firestone explode, which doesn’t make sense with dragon having saliva and needing to chew firestone). Anne’s daughter has now also written a book in the Pern world, and I haven’t had a chance to check it out.

Have you read any of Anne McCaffrey’s other series? They are fantastic as well (Crystal Singer Trilogy, Brain and Brawn ship series, Doona Series, Acorna Series to name a few)

3 Likes

Welcome back!

2 Likes

Definitely. For a long time she was on my list of “read everything released” :slight_smile:

Funny but I did less reading last year than any time in the past 20. Before pandemic I was on airplanes a lot and would read a book a trip & sometimes two or three depending how much time I was wherever I was going. Many a night coming home at o’dark-thirty with only 30 or 40 pages left in a book I had been reading on the plane and finished it up in the living room before crawling into bed at 2 or 3 in the morning :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh, I’m SO glad you are back! I’ve been very much enjoying the album I bought from you back when you did that crowd funding thing. I recently decided I wanted another one and tried to find one, only to discover that your group ( Scales and Crosstones) has been disbanded. Is there any way to buy the sound files now? The one I have is called Trebled Waters.

I would think your group would be super popular with all the whaling tunes going on now.

5 Likes

Welcome back. There are bunches of us regular peeps still around.

3 Likes

Hey @cynd11 ! Yeah, if you want any of our CD’s (we have 4) I have a lot sitting here at my house. The band was a covid casualty. One member is immunocompromised and even once we get beyond this pandamic didn’t know if she could perform in public for YEARS after. Another member just had a baby and was going to step out for awhile anyway, and our violinist got an awesome offer to join another group that did more tours than we did. So it was just time to pack it all up.

Let me know what you want from our CDs and I can work out a deal for you, with the band all done, I’m just trying to figure out what to do with these. (BTW, that goes for anyone, if you are interested in Sea Shanties, Celtic Tunes, and Pirate songs please let me know.)

8 Likes