Ribbon wont stay in printerhead

Everyime I’ve tried to clean my printerhead the ribbon is not wanting to click back into place, yesterday I had great difficulty getting it to reattach. I am now very afraid to try to clean it again in fear it wo t reattach. As of now I’m not even sure if its fully engaged, it’s working but I’m fearful it will unattatch during a project.

They do feel a little flimsy, but make sure it’s aligned, and push it straight in. If you don’t hear/feel the click, it’s not completely seated. Once it is seated though, it shouldn’t detach during a print.

1 Like

I heard it click the first couple times, now it’s so difficult to get it, everything seems straight but it seems slightly angled o. The one side. I’m afraid to mess with it now for fears I wont be able to get it attatched again
( if it is fully attached now) I’m not sure but it is working

Make sure none of the pins are bent in the socket preventing the cable seating.

2 Likes

Yep, what he said. It sounds like one of the pins might be slightly bent and if that is the case, the next time you remove the ribbon, check to make sure all the pins are straight. You can gently bend them with a needlenose pliers. (With the machine OFF.)

1 Like

There is a little clip on top and in the middle of the connector, that locks into a square hole on the carriage plate side. That’s what holds it in place.

If the clip or retaining hole parts are broken, it won’t stay in.

That connector is not designed for repeated removal despite it being called out in the instructions. I have never disconnected mine, it’s easy to get the lens out and wipe the windows on the head without doing that.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble.

As @eflyguy pointed out, there is a small clip on the end of the White Ribbon cable that attaches to your Printer Head. Would it be possible to take a picture of this end of the cable, so that we can review it?

Once we can review the image, we’ll provide the next best steps.

Have had a Glowforge for more than three years. The first few times I cleaned it I disconnected the white ribbon cable like everyone else. Then I decided the ribbon was flexible enough that disconnecting wasn’t necessary. I pull the head and carefully flip the head as needed to clean. I lay the head on it’s top or bottom, ribbon still attached, on the crumbtray while cleaning the lens or mirror until ready to be reinserted. I have not disconnected the cable in years.

7 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.