Rose Experiment

Experimenting with applications for super-thin cuts…

69 Likes

Oh my gosh, that is freaking amazing… :smiley:

I bet it was a bear to weed

4 Likes

Getting all the thin slivers out of all the tiny slots takes the longest. Weeding is definitely a pain, though. And then you have to get all the teensy bits of spiderwebby paper out of the spaces. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Holy cow, that’s incredible!

5 Likes

Wow, just wow! You’re definitely pushing that envelope to its absolute limit. :grin:

3 Likes

Ooh - now I’m wondering if you thickened the lines towards the inside of the petals, and left them thin at the edges whether it would give a shadow of shading!

6 Likes

You are definitely pushing the envelope! Amazing.

4 Likes

That is amazing. I can’t even imaging weeding that. So very pretty!

5 Likes

As a first try I use a soft rubber from a c-pap hose connected to a shop vac but sometimes I have to go in with a sewing needle stuck in a small stick. And for the larger pieces a small finishing nail in the stick does the trick. Without there being MDF hand sanitizer will float off the masking in one piece. With MDF it will float that off too.

2 Likes

I tried hand sanitizer – it warps the tiny strips. This has to be a strictly dry weed technique!

2 Likes

I do get warping, but while still damp press between tile pieces with terry rags between to wick out the dampness and leave for 24 hours. If tiny enough that the rag might affect it that could be an issue, but even with the masking the cut face itself is often improved by cleaning or even bleach.

1 Like

Wow! How long did this take?

1 Like

To cut, or to weed and clean? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The cut took 43 minutes.

3 Likes

WOW.

[Yes, Discourse. “Wow,” is a complete sentence.]

4 Likes

So nice! Okay, now for some curves…

3 Likes

I love the aesthetic of that. Really pretty!

2 Likes

wow very nice!

2 Likes

Wow. Incredible! Is that mdf? Are you going to pour a resin in it to “strength” the cuts or leave it as is. I have had some luck getting that thin with acrylic, but I didn’t think wood would hold up. I thought it would just be char. Hmmm…

4 Likes

Lol and another hour to weed it

2 Likes

It’s PG maple plywood. I haven’t tried it on acrylic yet, but the PG plywoods handle it fine with some tweaking of settings. Just can’t get it too wet while cleaning, because those little slices warp really easily! :slight_smile:

2 Likes