Rowmark Lasermax

But… that’s what we do here. A robust conversation evolves. All that’s needed is a seed, the fruit is always enjoyable.

1 Like

My son is on the Ronald Reagan, maybe I’ll make one for him too.

1 Like

Great idea!

Same but different memory from one time I was helping man one of the family shrimp boats.
Woke early and could not sleep so went up top with a coffee.
Swirling sea fog so thick you could not see 6 foot in any direction, yet straight up was clear as could be.
The stars were thick as sand particles and the fog seemed to highlight them. I moved up to the mast to get a wider view and it was stunning. Never drank my coffee and my neck was sore for several days.
Galaxy can be amazing at times.

4 Likes

Nothing like lying out on the crash nets alongside the flight deck (no sore neck) at night looking at the stars while in the middle of the ocean. I will forever miss those times.

1 Like

What an enchanting experience, the fog - and the solitude, and the Milky way! Unique memory in a life.

The cable nets that rimmed the “bridal catchers”, the extensions beyond the catapults on the bow were a favorite hammock to lounge in.
The tropical breeze with the Moon glinting off the water. You could look below and behind that position and see the sonar dome on the keel 38 feet underwater as it stimulated bioluminescence cutting through the water.

I understand, but at least we have the memory of an experience most will never have.

Those two extensions, a favorite place aboard, and in my memory.

3 Likes

This was my home for a few years:

5 Likes

Don’t stop. Love all of this and I am going to ask my crew about their experiences. See what stories they have from the Yorktown.

1 Like

OK, you asked for it. While on the Nimitz for those two weeks I worked in the same room as Michael Walker. John Walker and his son Michael Walker were spying for the Soviet Union. Michael was arrested on the Nimitz the same week I disembarked. The NY Times described it as the most damaging Soviet spy ring in history. I was surprised that I was never interviewed about it though can’t recollect ever talking to him.

Story #2: on the way back from the Nimitz after a couple weeks delay I took TWA Flight 847 to Rome. I had a U.S. Official Govt passport with an Israeli Visa and a classified couriers pouch. It was uneventful. But a week later that same flight was hijacked and held for many days by a Hezbollah group. A U.S. Navy diver, Robert Stethem, was singled out, tortured and executed. His body was thrown out the back of the plane on the tarmac. Could it have been me with different timing?

7 Likes

You can bet the plans to hijack that flight had been cooking for months. Your passport, Israeli visa, and classified material would have made a prize trophy for them. Lucky man.
In quiet moments of reflection, an old memory of just how close you came to disaster comes out of nowhere with a jolt.
In the chaos of daily circumstance it could have been very different.

4 Likes

In the grand scheme of things my experiences compared to those that have been in real conflict are very small. Only reason I mention it is folks still remember Stethem because of the 17 day hijack event and his public execution. Maybe a conference room in my old office would have been named for me.

2 Likes

Hi do you think I can use these same settings on a basic for ⅛” 2 color acrylic and Romark?

Settings for all machines are the same except for Full power. So a Power=100 (or 50 or 10) will be the same for a Basic, Plus or Pro.

It’s only the higher power of a Pro’s Full power setting vs the Basic or Plus Full that makes alterations in speed required.

I’m not sure if the 2-color 1/8” stuff has the same thickness of top layer as the 1/16 stuff I use. It would be a good start, but I always recommend testing a sample before diving into a big project.

Timing is everything