Rubber Stamp project

Inspired by Ben Gatien’s You Tube tutorial on how to design a laser cut box on Sketchup I downloaded the trial version today and had a play.

One of my first project when I get my Glowforge will be rubber stamps, and I have been mulling over a way to make the stamp holder, rather than buying blanks. Sketchup seemed the ideal way to test out my idea. I first drew the objects in Illustrator, then imported them into Sketchup as a .dxf file.

I then extruded them and created the model below. I also did a quick and dirty render using a free Sketchup plugin called Visualiser.

14 Likes

Very very cool! Thank you for sharing!!

2 Likes

Cool didn’t know sketchup could render like that(I haven’t used it in years, on an iPhone screen that looks like a proper plastic stamp).

I don’t have much experience of stamping but I heard tapered designs give a better stamp relief from a detail point of view. GF plans to add a “stamp mode” to help do this. Yay

I like the idea of using magnets to hold different rubber stamps with one holder(I dono how you would not make a mess though when storing)

2 Likes

That is great work. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

It should be possible to build a frame that goes around (and holds) the rubber stamp portion.

You would leave tabs on 2 opposing sides, or on all 4 sides, which protrude beyond the square frame. Then use the laser cutter to trim the rubber thin where the frame will lock in.

May be a bit complicated to fully engineer to the point of not needing any glue, but seems possible. Then you can have just a few holders, and a ton of rubber stamp inserts.

4 Likes

Thanks for the positive comments chaps :slight_smile:

jacktyler_co_uk, The renderer is a free plugin. There are loads available - some are very expensive. I just downloaded the first free one I came across. It’s pretty limited though, so I will look for others.

jacobturner, I’m looking to sell these, so not particularly interested in removable stamps. It’s a good idea though, and perfect for crafters who want to use the stamps themselves. You could just use a bit of double sided tape to attach the rubber. Although, to be honest, it’s such a simple patter, you might as well make one for each stamp.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this…its awesome…while I have saw on this board that the machine will allow you to make your own rubber stamps, I am hoping that is true because I emailed a question about being able to take a drawing and turn it into a rubber stamp using rubber acrylic and this is the message i just got back:

That’s a fascinating challenge for our laser, and I’ve never seen a case like it before. I don’t want to mislead you that we know for sure that it would work. Unfortunately we’re not staffed right now to run samples or experiments for potential customers, so I’m afraid I can’t give you a definitive answer. If there is a local makerspace or shop that has a CO2 laser with a power of about 45 watts, you can test it there - if it works, it will work on a Glowforge. Right now, though, I’m afraid we just won’t know the answer.

SO I AM A BIT WORRIED NOW that it won’t be able to create rubber stamps :frowning:

1 Like

This leads me to think you’re fine:

They even have a table at the bottom.

1 Like

thanks for that link jrnelson…I saw that link on another post…all of this is so FOREIGN to me…I just hope it works…I did start a whole new post regarding this with a dog image…thanks again

1 Like

There are a few youtube videos showing laser cutting rubber stamps. Pretty sure one of the was a 40W CO2 but you can research further.

2 Likes