Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

well, if anyone’s interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1126134367496957/

it’s less of a me-too thing and more of wanting a GF-specific spot; sorry if i step on anyone’s toes.

12 Likes

That was fast :sunglasses:

1 Like

Rofl. I guess one of the few (only so far) groups I’ll send a join request to. :wink:

2 Likes

If I was a member of Facebook that would be the first group I’d join!

1 Like

Did you accidentally set me up as a moderator for it? ROFL! :smile:
(I’m like the least familiar person with Facebook on the forum…I only joined up about a month ago, and I think I left one comment.)

3 Likes

less accidental more random from names i could decipher :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, okay! (Long as you’ve got a few in there who know what they’re doing.) :smile:

3 Likes

I see how it is

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks mate, sent invite request

1 Like

Cool, I’m in :slight_smile:

Why not? I’ll play along. Forums first; but maybe there will be some who will participate on FB that don’t come to the forums. A good way to build community, in that event.

2 Likes

First review is in: (text copied from post, full post screenshot below)

Initial Review of Alignment Process - MUSE
As I have stated before I am very new to laser cutters so read this review with that in mind.
After failing to cut 1/8" Birch Plywood I new that I had to go through the alignment process. After reading the
user manual and using a bit of logic I thought the process was going to be super simple. It took me several hours to complete this process and there are things I have observed:

1. I could not get the red beam to be a dot. It was more like a red line. The manual did not mention anything about that but in order to fix that I had to unscrew/screw the golden base (it has a spring inside) a few times until the red beam had somewhat of a dot shape.
  2. The step above broke the wires connected to the red beam diode so I had to resolder the whole thing.
  3. Stage 3 of the manual explains how to align Mirror #1 to Mirror #2 using the “Far” and “Close” position. This was the step that I had more issues. It should be as:
    a. Fire the laser in the far position with a thermal paper over Mirror 2
    b. Adjust the red beam using the 3 screws so that the red dot is on top of the laser mark
    c. Fire the laser again in a close position
    d. move the gantry to the far position
    e. use mirrors in Mirror #1 to move the red dot to the new mark (the close one).
    The problem is that the red beam diode is so flimsy that every time I move the gantry from “far” to “close” the red diode moved as well, once that happened, I would lose my reference point. My workaround for that was to add a extra step before 3.d, I made sure I aligned the red beam to the far position again before attempting to change Mirror #1 alignment.
    After the alignment was done I am able to cut 1/8"Birch Plywood using 20% Speed and 40% power.
    Things I like so far:
  • Control panel
  • Perimeter function
  • Motors are fast
    Things I dislike:
  • I can’t use my keyboard arrows in RetinaEngrave. Using the mouse is not ideal when I want to change just 1-2 mm.
  • The red beam diode is very cheap.

From the comment section:

Full Post:

17 Likes

Wow…the beta/pre release reports sound better than that (ok, he may have gotten a lemon/rough ups driver).

4 Likes

yeah i’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt when it’s one shipment, but it certainly doesn’t sound great for people who aren’t super technically savvy.

5 Likes

If that alignment process is part of the deal for everyone, you sorta have to add the cost of that to the price. That’s half a day you’re not going to be doing something else. (OK, maybe less than half a day if all goes well.)

2 Likes

while i know glowforge users have been pushing the cut something in 20 minutes schtick, i don’t think a single alignment on a big tool is that big of a deal. the real issue is how often you have to do that kind of thing; if it’s more than once every several months then yeah, definitely annoying.

3 Likes

Thanks for finding that muse post… It’s sounds like they put polish on existing products and kept some of the same ol problems. Specifically retained problems that gf has taken care of…can grandma run the thing is a question gf asks if no time for csi (continual service improvement) if muse has you having to do alignment out of the box then its not being targeted at the world

7 Likes

If you’re curious about alignment, every laser I’ve seen (present company excepted) has the same alignment procedure. You can see it here. When I do it, it’d take about two hours - for whatever that’s worth.

15 Likes

So, in other words, not an innovation in that regard.

Here is the Muse user manual

2 Likes