Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

What a peripheral-laden mess.

9 Likes

yeah, given how fussy the fslaser at the makerspace got, i’m not entirely surprised at how this one behaves.

that said i was really hoping the muse would be noticeably different than their other units, but it really seems like it just got a new wrapper.

5 Likes

What I hadn’t realized is it recommend a sperate exhaust system. Does it not have inboard exhaust?

4 Likes

Okay, for the record, I’m sooooooo glad we don’t have to mess with that nonsense!
Sure, we could do it if we had to, but who wants to spend hours aligning a bunch of mirrors?
( I remember how long I spent fine tuning the level on a 3 point spider with an offset pivot point, and that was just one set of screws to fiddle with! This is multiplied by three!)

The GF click-in cartridge is looking better and better all the time. :yum:

(Kind of sad though that most new customers won’t recognize how much better the engineering behind the Glowforge is.)

You guys are doing an amazing job. :relaxed:

15 Likes

Apparently not. And what’s worse, those external fans often leak badly through their housings and stink up the place big time.

3 Likes

I have the honor of knowing that the setup of the glowforge is on par with setting up a ink jet printer but I had no idea the contrast to other laser cutters.
As the word gets out you will sell so many of these.

15 Likes

My installation required a booster for the run to the furnace room and another to push it up the flue out the roof.
I noticed the 2 piece housing of the fans leaked at the seam where the 2 halves come together. Siliconed the joints to insure a seal.

Same was true with the aluminum frame blast gate at the first fan. The clearance in the frame left the sheet metal gate loose, and had a leaky seam where the two halves join. Had to rework that too to get a good seal.

8 Likes

I read the manual and wonder about their warranty section:

Appendix E: Warranty Information
Within the first 30 days, Full Spectrum Laser will replace or repair any defective parts free of charge
and pay for ground shipping of parts. Overnight shipping is available at extra charge.

Outside the first 30 days, Full Spectrum Laser will replace or repair any defective part within the
warranty period free of charge but shipping charges are the responsibility of the customer. The
warranty includes parts and labor only. Shipping of defective and replacement components is
excluded by the warranty. The customer may arrange their own shipping or drop parts off to exchange
parts at our warehouse free of charge. Typically Full Spectrum Laser has most replacement parts on
hand for immediate shipment of under warranty parts.

All defective parts must be returned to Full Spectrum Laser postage paid for evaluation before
replacements are issued unless otherwise authorized. The warranty is valid for normal use only and
excludes Acts of God, user error and use outside of normal parameters. Parts damaged by fires are
considered user error if the machine is left unattended. Just like operating a household gas stove,
always stand next to the machine with a fire extinguisher and be ready to turn it off in case of a fire
and never operate the machine unattended.

Prior to 8/7/2012, the extended warranty was charged separately and the Hobby
Lasers had a 60 day base warranty on all items excluding shipping unless an
extended warranty was purchased.

After 8/7/2012, the Hobby lasers have a 60 day warranty on all items and a free extended limited 1
year warranty which excludes consumable items/shipping included in their price. The limited warranty
excludes shipping and consumables and other normal wear and tear items. All electronic items
(control cards, power supplies, motors) and most mechanical items are covered under the extended
warranty unless damaged by abuse/fires. Consumables not covered include, but are not limited to,
rubber parts such as tubing, belts, plastic wheels, lenses, mirrors, other optics, and laser tubes.

Within the first 30 days the original purchaser may transfer the balance of your warranty to anyone
else free of charge provided you notify us in writing. Outside of the first 30 days, we will only provide
warranty and tech support services to the original purchaser unless a warranty transfer fee is paid
as there is a cost involved with initial tech support of new users and accounting fees. If you sell your
machine, the warranty remains valid but the buyer must arrange with the original purchaser to request
RMAs and send in the machine for repairs unless a warranty transfer fee is paid.

Please Note: Full Spectrum Laser DOES NOT offer warranties or customer
support for 3rd Party replacement parts, including replacement laser tubes. Use
of such parts may not be compatible with Full Spectrum Laser machines and can
cause damage to your laser system.

Go to http://fslaser.com/service-and-support for most currenty warranty postings

You’re right. I think I was reacting more to the apparently fraught nature of the alignment process, with the user unsure of exactly how to do it and having to repair the machine partway through. And the the Muse marketing, which has been much more about competing in the simple-laser field rather than about a few new capabilities for people who are already comfortable with tinkering with their lasers.

oh absolutely. the support and help has always been the weakest part of that company imo.

I would be interested in any additional reviews. Perhaps somebody else will have a better experience that doesn’t require re-soldering.
Then, of course, I’m interested in the user experience once the machine is set up. Interested in how it compares with Glowforge in making. Interested in the degree to which the Muse meets the promises they advertised.

I’ve been operating my gas range incorrectly for 25 years. Also, it has worked without repair for 25 years and it came with the house and was already old then. The clock on it has never worked, but I don’t ever recall seeing an old gas range with a working clock. I always thought they were delivered broken.

Note: this isn’t a dig at FLS and the Muse, it’s a dig at comparing any laser to a gas range.

14 Likes

The whole thread is actually filling up with other users and the issues theyre running into. I didnt have any of these issues with my glowforge. just sayin. And some of the users have a couple lasers already.

5 Likes

If this doesn’t fill you with confidence…wow. I get where they are going with it, but that doesn’t make it less funny to a non-Muse owner.

5 Likes

This is a fairly standard setup for most lasers. It has its plusses and minuses. Theres a lot of mess, but its also more upgradable, and open to more modification. You just have to spend a lot more time on it. It depends on what kind of person you are. I like my glowforge, but im still going to mod and use my k40 as well so I can do rotary and build a giant bottomless bed for it.

That being said, it is definitely going to take most of the muse owners hours/days longer to get their lasers up and running. Kinda feel sorry for them a bit.

8 Likes

It looks like every other laser schema out there except the GF.

2 Likes

Yes it does. I totally understand why they say stand next to it at all times with a fire extinguisher, preferably with a fire brigade at the ready. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the fire brigade in the glowforge manual, but no gas range references please.

2 Likes

=\

8 Likes

Snicker Snicker Snicker :imp::poop:

5 Likes

So I missed some of the thread discussion by not reading everything carefully, but does this mean that they actually have started shipping their product to customers?