Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

Yes

They have, and all the posts Ive seen so far are not very encouraging.

5 Likes

Bummer. I had hoped that it would come off well.
I like a healthy competition - I think it benefits the consumer and the market.
People will flock to their brand; but its always better for everyone when the brands have some umph.
On the other hand, this lets GlowForge come out strong.

12 Likes

I feel a lot better about all the delays when I see something that got rushed and appears to have come out less than satisfactory

5 Likes

At least they aren’t too far off from when they said they would ship - I believe November was their original timeframe? Will give them a first mover advantage especially if GF has another delay.

Since I don’t have a muse, I can’t say why the reviews aren’t great (might be the expectations of the technology aren’t being met, e.g. camera use), or that its just the same as any other existing laser on the market. It doesn’t take much to make a product successful though, and looks like they have enough to make it a viable product.

2 Likes

Regardless of my feelings about the marketing and the flame wars, I was hoping that the Muse would in fact be a huge step forward for FSL and for hobby lasers. I wanted it to be a very, very good, but still different, option for a desktop hobby laser. Competition breeds innovation, and it is pretty clear to me that the laser industry has been wanting some innovation for a while.

14 Likes

I was hoping the same. It made me really happy to see this in the race for the first VR headset, and I was even more happy when I saw that at some points Oculus and Vive were sharing tech. The fact that everyone in the VR subreddits were actively cheering on all of VR made it such a great place to be, and not a lot of fanboy infighting. Im a member of almost all laser communities on FB, because I just like talking about them and seeing other peoples work. I wanted the muse to be something that would push everyone else to innovate, but so far it doesnt look like its going that direction.

Im so glad glowforge is doing what they are, and that its motivating the rest of the industry to start forward thinking again.

11 Likes

Heres a link to the thread on facebook for any of those interested in following along:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/867542150023694/permalink/1108654709245769/?comment_id=1109430882501485&notif_t=group_comment_reply&notif_id=1488929466609561

5 Likes

True. Competition only makes all products better.

I just had to get the smirk off my plate because of the approach that FSL took in November, then December, then January…

I like the smaller form factor and rotary add-on, but the air pump, water cooler and fan units plus the alignment step and procedures are a real disappointment for the GF :glowforge: pricing,

With all those items, I would rather go with the Chinese larger bed or larger FSL units instead.

3 Likes

No doubt. You can get way more bang for your buck with the non-FSL chinese lasers. The only advantage FSL has over chinese lasers is their software. I dont even know if its an advantage

2 Likes

Just nipping in as someone who was recently very glad there was a fire extinguisher next to the gas stove (but thinks the code requirement for a shutoff valve immediately adjacent to the flex is a bit stupid).

1 Like

I wonder if they rushed to ship so as to not get hit with being seen as “Glowforgey” with delays, but now early-adopters will pay the price for that.

3 Likes

I’m just guessing, but I think they were just trying to beat Glowgorge to the punch.

3 Likes

Oh no doubt. Putting a shiny case around a k40 doesnt make it perform any better though =\

9 Likes

I guess it depends on the purpose. Good idea in case the appliance ever needs to be replaced or if the appliance itself is leaking. But personally I don’t think either of those reaches the level of being included in the building code. Pretty pointless in regards to fire.

Grease fire? I don’t leave anything unattended on the stovetop if grease/oil is involved. Boiling water for pasta…

2 Likes

Left a whistling tea pot on the stove one time, thinking I would hear it from outside.
Forgot about it. Didn’t hear the whistle.
Came inside to find that the water had all boiled out, and the thing had heated up enough to melt the plastic from the handle, which had dropped down into the red-hot kettle and was burning merrily away.
Learning experience for me.

9 Likes

Many years ago my mother drove me to Boy Scouts and then ran some errands, completely forgetting about the eggs boiling on the stove. We got home to a kitchen covered in scrambled eggs. After the water boiled away the eggs exploded with enough force to push them through the window screens on the other side of room!

15 Likes

They discourage folks from joining if they don’t support or use FSL products or if they sell a competing product. I don’t have anything against them so maybe they won’t reject my join request.

2 Likes

Maybe at some point Glowforge could license out their cloud software and driver boards to FSLaser or the Chinese. :grinning:

1 Like

Apparently (this is speculatively diagnosed entirely after the fact) on this particular stove if you didn’t clean or use the broiler often enough it would develop enough back pressure for gas to enter the back/interior of the stove and ignite from the lit broiler. Not a lot of gas, but enough to start insulation and ostensibly heat-resistant materials charring and smoking.) I’m going to see if I can get the gas guy to put another shutoff down in the basement, because for part of the year going out to where the propane tanks are to shut the gas off is not a good option. (And I can see how they would have made the close shutoff code because otherwise people would be even more tempted to do really stupid things, like the guy I saw once unscrewing the cast-iron gas line at floor level and just holding a thumb over the pipe for a few minutes while he assembled the bits for a new run.)

The stove also used a bunch of dissimilar metals in the same hot-section assembly. I was not all that sad to see the last of it.