Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

Safety is a reason I chose to go with induction. All the benefits of gas, no risk of explosion. Plus it keeps the kitchen cooler in summer!

2 Likes

OMG what a design. It just makes tony seem all the wiser for not caving to the angry posters demanding a gas turbine power supply back when the glowforge was delayed because of the electric power supply design issue.

Though, I’m pretty sure your experience was not FSL’s point with their comparison.

1 Like

…this was not some popular, widespread suggestion

I’m feeling my sense of humor is limited to me.

10 Likes

Perhaps.

I assumed it was a joke, but then the serious reply made me question my reading of it.

Lol…yeah, reminds of making diamond coatings by flowing methane over a glowing W filaments in a H2 atmosphere…oh the good Olde college days where safety was less than an afterthought.

3 Likes

I was hoping someone would give me an excuse to post this.

7 Likes

I wonder what the sentiment is today after the announcement about Mark’s magical laser tube replacement technology not being up to the task of allowing users to replace it in the field after all. Not an issue with other FSL machines so not likely one with the Muse either. You don’t ship their machines back to NV to get the tube replaced.

3 Likes

Ha for a second I thought it was going to be too many cooks in the kitchen, but I’m getting my worlds crossed. That applies to my office and not necessarily to gf hq

4 Likes

Too many cooks/ TOO MANY Cooks!

I figure if you know that one, you may have also seen Unedited Footage of a Bear

Pushing the boundaries of television entertainment!
(I first saw it at the Adult Swim Drive-In event, laying on the grass in front of the big drive-in screen… whoa)

2 Likes

Latest Muse-News on the FSL forum:

“Just received our Muse laser. After unboxing the gantry seems to be very out of square. One of the zip ties was broken as well. The belt were also not attached. Because it is out of square, the home position sensor never gets triggered so it makes a terrible grinding sound. I am able to get it square by adjusting the motor coupling but it puts too much stress on the motor. Seems that the x gantry is bent. Is there anyway to adjust that or will I have to send it back?”

4 Likes

Heh. Oops.

Sounds like the many trials that K40 users have when they first receive their units. Not all come like that, but its not uncommon.

1 Like

Ouch. And here’s a pro-tip from 3D printing: if you let the stepper motors grind against the hard stops for long enough they can produce electrical spikes that will let the magic smoke out of other parts of the controller.

6 Likes

Posted the same thing on facebook. With photos…

7 Likes

“seems to be” without photos: “slight adjustment needed”
…With photos: “Houston, we have a problem…” :joy:

13 Likes

THK Linear rails. Nice.

1 Like

He also posted this statement, which was weird:

I will say this, After reading a lot of horror stories about FS and the new Muse I was nervous to receive it. I am pretty impressed with the build quality. There seems to be some software issues and some shipping problems that still need to be sorted, but overall it is better than I expected

Maybe they’re one of those, “as long as I receive my Muse before Glowforge is released,” people? That photo was probably taken fresh after unpacking, before manually sliding it back into place, in case of having to make an RMA claim.

I guess the proof will come in the pudding, when they actually try running it for a bit.