Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

The other thing I noticed is they’re not showing the Muse’s base extension where you can take the bottom out to laser stuff like doors or deeper stuff.

2 Likes

I’m automatically skeptical of anything that originates from FSL, but that software looked pretty darn impressive. So many features I’d want in the GFUI…

3 Likes

The software looked nice! Dremel will probably fix most (if not all) of the problems with the Muse and turn it into worthy competitor to the Glowforge. Competition is good.

4 Likes

Yep. It’s looking good. Some things like the software look better than the GF. Others like the separate box for the air & cooling take away from the ease of use of the GF (although may enable you to get bigger boxes for hotter places).

Be interesting to see what they end up with as a price point. If it cost $7K I’d buy one of them over a GF. If it costs $10K I’m still buying a GF.

3 Likes

That software is way more robust then the gfui. Feeling left behind

well, that software doesn’t exist yet any more than the what GF showed in the original video completely exists yet, so don’t feel left behind until it actually exists and works as promised. and by “it” i mean both the dremel SW for the muse and the GFUI.

3 Likes

Don’t know that it doesn’t exist yet? Does it not exist in some way for the Muse? The difference is, I believe, that’s an adaptation from their (FS) existing software (Retina Engrave). They’ve been developing lasers for a while. They have quite a bit of a head start.

1 Like

we don’t know what exists because dremel hasn’t put anything out.

i haven’t heard much good about what does exist for the muse, but i haven’t really looked in the past 5-6 months. but, to be fair, people seemed happy to see dremel taking the muse hardware, fixing it up, and putting their own software on it. if the muse SW was really good, would people be excited that dremel was redoing it?

i don’t know. but i do know the dremel software is still vaporware until the dremel machine comes out and someone actually runs it. GFUI at least exists.

it could turn out to be way better. we just don’t know that yet.

2 Likes

This thread , interestingly, makes me think of the line from Julius Caesar…

''Et tu, Brute?"

The ability to “save material settings” is what I miss having. Just today working on something… cutting out prototypes in cardboard, after every change in Inkscape, load into GFUI and then reset manually all the objects cut settings… rinse repeat several times. Why can’t I just have a material created “Amazon cardboard” and chose that material… grrr

5 Likes

I may be confused here – when I set up a project and use manual settings for the cut, etc., then I close that out and go out to another – when I come back and open that project, it still has those manual settings. Is it just the settings for the material itself you are looking to save? Wouldn’t that change with the type of cardboard, etc.? I would think it would have to be different depending on the type of cardboard, or the particular supplier of baltic birch, or the type of acrylic and where you get it. I may be wrong, but I thought that was the advantage with PG – you have folks involved who are checking it all for consistency…

I think he is making prototypes, test fitting, modifying and going again. So, each time he is uploading a new file and having to apply the settings to each operation.

I would love custom saved materials myself. Actually, I’d love just these 2 things:

1. Custom material saved settings
  2. The ability to toggle an operation but save the settings when it’s toggled off.
8 Likes

I mean for a modified project. Today I had Filea then I cut it out, had to modify it (Inkscape) callit Fileb, load it (deleted Filea from my GFUI - no need to keep it) then open Fileb and reset all cut.engrave,score settings. then repeat if I need revision c , etc

2 Likes

ahhhh…OK. Thank you. I can see how that would be very frustrating.

Their software looks significantly better than what I’ve seen of the GFUI. Hopefully it pushes Glowforge to step up their offering and add the workflows people actually need :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be honest. I wouldn’t buy this machine off of this commercial. The Dremel name helps. I love my Dremel rotary tool enough that I bought their oscillating tool. But I bought the Glowforge strictly off of a better commercial. We all know there were some issues and still are, but in the end I am more than happy with the machine I received.

It’s impossible to evaluate the quality of the software but I sure get the idea it’s loaded with features. I hope someone at Glowforge is loading up the mythical Hopper.

It feels like forever since we’ve had a meaningful new feature.

2 Likes

I hope their busy UNloading the hopper. They’ve been loading it for years now. :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah, that would be even better!

1 Like

I always wondered who is that elusive guy who buy things based on how good the commercial is… nice to meet you

4 Likes