Running the GF outside at Maker Faire

I wanted to check and see if it was possible to relax the upper temperature limits for a day while I’m demonstrating my GF at NoVA Maker Faire next Sunday (June 2). I’m under an outdoor tent and the forecast is for mid to upper 80s that day. I’m planning on bringing a portable AC and funneling the air to the intake, but I’m worried that I still might end up with some temperature warnings. I know you were able to relax the settings for prerelease units at maker faire NY a couple of years ago, so was hoping that it might be possible to do so for my machine for a day. I realize it may have some effect on the life span of the tube, but hopefully one day should be ok (and I will be funneling cold air at it).

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Not sure exactly when you received your GF. I’m guessing it’s a Pro. I just passed 18 months a couple days ago. So it’s likely you would soon be past warranty anyway. So no skin off of Glowforge’s back. Just the effort to set the switch.

it’s not a pro and it’s past warranty. so hopefully they will flip it for the day. i’d rather not have it permanently set higher, just in case at home, but for that one day…

Ouch. With a Basic you definitely need some cooling/prayers for the forecast. Maybe they will see and appreciate that you are risking your investment for their benefit.

it’s possible the portable AC will be enough pointed right at the intake. i hope so. just hedging bets some.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea for a feature - thanks for the suggestion! We haven’t announced anything like that yet, but I’m going to send it to our product team with a note that it came from a customer request.