Runtime

So now that there are real world Basic and Pro models, what is the difference in the maximum continuous safe runtime for the Basic Vs Pro models? If the unit begins to overheat does it just pause the cut until it cools off and then continues where it left off?

1 Like

None of the Pre-Release users have experienced a pause in their prints. Cooling issues seem to be far less of a concern than we thought.

8 Likes

I do not recall anyone posting about an occasion that the Basic pre-release units needed a cool down mid job. that is a good question.

Anyone?

6 Likes

I’ve never encountered mid-job cool-job event on my PRU.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing 3 hour engravings on a basic pru in a 80df room without pause so who knows?

5 Likes

There was a reference to room temperature, power usage and runtime, but I cannot find it now.

I think it was not an official Glowforge spec, but someone’s comparison guide.

The main thing I remember was some stupid claim that the Glowforge could not run long jobs. The PRU users have demonstrated that long runtimes are not a problem.

2 Likes

Dan actually started the discussion about how the Pros could run longer between or without pauses. Also that the Basic was designed to run in 70F temperatures. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the operation of the Pre-Release without pausing would have surprised him at the time. The design may be more tolerant or the cooling system more efficient than we thought. Of course the temperatures in my space has never exceeded 70F since we are just now entering warm weather months.

3 Likes

Never got the ‘I need to stop and take a breather’ message on either units.

At Makerfaire, One of the days we ran 2 2hr jobs. This was after they shut the HVAC in zone 2.
We took issue to the high temps. The glowforge did not.

6 Likes

I think this was in reference to a stores volume, rather than a person screwing around. If you were printing 100’s of something non-stop it’s likely to need a break. Good to know no one seems to have hit whatever that limit is yet!

Nope…no shut downs.

Might be an interesting idea for a pre-release user to do a torture test… just do a bunch of 100% cuts back and forth and see what happens. I say pre-release customers since I don’t think anyone would want to do that with their production unit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

An old post described one of the company machines being in continuous operation. So they know the answer. Simple curiosity does not allow me to risk being without a machine until the Pro arrives.

Had one design that intentionally exercised the unit to the extremes in terms of rapid quick direction change head and gantry movements. The Pre-Release was a rocking and rolling with an occasional bump that concerned me. Everything survived but worried that it was the last project I would ever have an opportunity to run. Reported the results and will never load that file again. Been running sweet ever since.

5 Likes

Shoot. I wish knowing the limitations of the machine was more than idle, time-wasting curiosity.

1 Like

No the limitation of the machine just for curiosity doesn’t make me want to break it and be without. Not working for GF in a Beta role. I’m just supposed to tell them what I think and experiences. I have more non destructive work that I’m interested in. Feel free to break your production unit when you get it.

2 Likes

Or GF could just tell us the answer. They must have done environmental tests by now.

4 Likes

That would be too easy! I’m pretty sure this forum would implode :smile:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t expect the machine to break itself. But it’s concerning that those in the know think it’s a possibility.

You have a history of reading posts in the worst possible way. I can break a bowling ball with a hammer. I could wear out any laser cutter by engraving for a couple thousand hours non-stop. If I used the worst case file it’s always possible that some screw deep in the machine might pop loose or a belt wear out. I think it’s built like a tank and it’s unlikely to happen, but any suggestion that I try to wear it out or shake it beyond normal use is falling of deaf ears. Not interested.

8 Likes

I tend to respond to condescension instead of ignoring it. If you don’t want to see if the Glowforge’s features (like its overheating protections) function as advertised, that’s fine.
I do take issue with you, and others, constantly undermining those who would like some actual information to be shared.

I live in SC where its sweltering in the summer, as well as incredibly humid. Ive run up to 5 hour engraves and have never had a pause issue, however, Ive only had it since January, so it hasnt seen any real heat yet.

5 Likes