Runtime

While understandable, it also seems a bit odd that after two years of only getting X amount of information and the one responsible for giving it very clearly stating that’s all we should ever expect, people still clamor for clarity. The irony is there has been clarity given: @dan has said no, I’m not/can’t tell you that. You don’t like it. Fine. But if you get to “vocalize” you’re dislike of that behavior, we have as much right to do the same. Or do we not because it doesn’t align with what you want?

Also, how do we who don’t bug Dan undermine your efforts at getting information he’s never going to give you?

4 Likes

If I receive a GF early enough this summer I’ll gladly stick it out in the garage for hot weather run time test as long as I’m not out there generating carbon graphite dust at the time (it’s corrosive and conductive).

Last year I recorded 128 degree temps in the garage and I’ve already recorded 108 degrees this year.

“But it’s a dry heat”

4 Likes

I was responding @pdobrien, someone that I respect, in my original literal post. If you did not intend to be snarky with your reply then I’m sorry that I rolled my eyes and intentionally blew you off.

1 Like

Supposedly the Glowforge has a lot of internal sensors. If one of them records ambient temperature it might cause you problems. There is a minimum and maximum operating temperature range in the manual. Running outside of those parameter might void the warranty. Don’t know. Just FYI.

2 Likes

My plan is keeping the GF inside the house under normal operation, where I keep the temps at a comfy 80-82, so I shouldnt have any problems. My garage is no place for sensitive electronics because of the dust, but a test shouldnt pose problems. I’d expect the GF to have thermal protection.

Even cell phones will shut themselves off when exposed to high ambient temps. We see that here all the time if you spend a little time outside in the sun during the summer and say you keep your phone in a pocket. It won’t work when you need it because it will be over-temp, which is kinda scary to think if you’re stranded in the desert and overheated, you cant even use your phone to call for help because it’s overheated too.

1 Like

I have seen this screen a few too many times, normally when the phone was left sitting in the sun face up.

7 Likes

Car on Sunday morning for me. I liked the too hot thermometer symbology though yeah, didn’t like it being that hot.

Around here, leaving your phone in the car is a good way to lose a car window and a phone. :disappointed:

1 Like

I think your readings of my posts have been correct, just like I think my readings of your posts have been correct. You think knowing how long the Basic machine will cut before it pauses to cool down is a simple curiosity.

I’d say that information is quite important. And given the fact that Glowforge is taciturn, asking a PRU borrower to clue us in seems pretty reasonable.

I suspect both of us would find it silly if someone asked a borrower to perform a hammer-resistance “test” on a Glowforge. Perhaps we aren’t so different after-all. My interest rests with knowing how well the laser machine functions as a laser machine, which is something I would have guessed would be a curiosity all of us would share.

I’ve almost made it to 4 hours and never had a pause, but 80 degrees has not been a problem in Boston yet (mostly 50s - we just set a record for june in the 40s this week)

1 Like

Long runtimes appear not to be a problem so far on the Basic, and the Pro should be even better with the enhanced cooling system.

I would totally expect a PRU to pipe in some on this. It seems to me that long runtimes and testing would be part of the intent there. Also, Glowforge does have a machine in the office that has, if I understand other posts correctly, been getting a duty cycle beating with someone tasked to keep it going.

1 Like

Like I said, that happens here just walking around town (or riding a bike) with the phone in your pocket! It’s definitely annoying.

1 Like

I imaging it will run continuously up to some ambient temperature and above that it will need to pause to cool down. Looks like so far nobody has hit that temperature yet.

But GF will have done full environmental tests and know what temperature it starts to flake out at.

You’re assumption is wrong. Not that the answer isn’t interesting or useful, just that I have no interest in using this Pre-Release to find when or if the unit will pause. I’ll be glad for someone else or the company to give me that info. The unit I have has a Pro-tube and as far as I can tell doesn’t have the additional cooling. It would give no useful info so I’m not going to waste the effort when I have my own questions. There is nothing about the unit that I wouldn’t share, there is lots that’s not on my priority list to find out.

I’m also on record many months before receiving a Pre-Release and even to you personally that I would only answer questions in the forum that interest me. (even though in that particular case I went down to the basement and took measurements just for you. You’re welcome.)

3 Likes

Your generosity is legendary.

2 Likes

Yeah, guessing so. The pre-release reports are all anecdotal. Knowing the relationship between temperature, power and duration would be quite an extensive test. Pretty sure the company or a third party lab had that as part of their test program.

Not sure what that means. All statistically derived data is anecdotal, just you have enough anecdotes to be confident in the result (unless you have the entire population).

Those of us with PRUs have not experienced pauses despite very long engraves (longer that most people will ever do - I mean that red oak sign I did was a straight 3:54 engrave) so while it is true that isn’t every possible configuration it gives a pretty good ballpark that most people can use.

1 Like

I meant anecdotal in the sense that none of us have been reporting temperature. So it hasn’t meant a lot other than making us feel generally more comfortable. Maybe the correct term would be statistically insignificant when compared to the thousand of data points required to correlate temp, duration and power? We want to know under what condition it fails but the best so far is it hasn’t at a relatively long duration. Not arguing a point as to what is right, just explaining my meaning.

And as I have said my Pre-Release has a pro tube, not sure it has the pro cooling. How about yours?

1 Like

I’d imagine that nearly 4 hours would be an upper limit that most users wouldn’t come close to meeting on a regular basis, unless running a lot of 3D engraving.

2 Likes