Sanding Proofgrade

… but not too much. There’s a sweet spot on sanding for masking where it sticks just right. Sand it too smooth and that masking will be adhered to that surface and will likely pull up stray fibers from the wood when you try to remove it, necessitating more sanding later anyway.

I just barely hit my materials with 400 grit and get good results, ymmv.

1 Like

OMG, I just followed that link. These people are my people.

1 Like

@lizabeta,

@evansd2 is right and I forgot to mention it. I usually sand the panels right before I need them masked with the highest grit I have on hand usually 120 but a really used and well worn down disc on my orbital sander. Usually 4 passes, 1 short ways against the grain and 1 long ways with the grain and repeat. I only bother with higher grits if I am staining or clear coating otherwise most of my stuff gets paint and 120 is good enough. Hope this all helps.

1 Like

@Drea Well, here we are: Spit and sealed with NeverWet.

Typically, when you seal Unicorn Spit, you use something like Tung Oil or Polycrylic. It brings the vibrancy of the colors back. This came out still slightly chalky. However, the NeverWet does work as advertised… I couldn’t get that piece of leather wet if I wanted to. It just beads up and falls off.

11 Likes

Very cool! Thank you for following up and sharing your experiment :slight_smile:

And, now I’m curious about this NeverWet stuff. Will have to check that out as well … not something I’d typically use, but I can think of a couple niche applications where it might be perfect. So thanks again - you’ve taught me two new things in one day.

2 Likes

I find it easy to sand. not sure what y’all are doing wrong

Things may have changed in 4 years.

1 Like