Sauce Museum

1. This group has proven to be a great group of foodies.
  2. Regionally there are many different sauces/ condiments you can purchase, and that we are all missing out on.

So I am polling the group here. What are your favorite sauces?

This is sparked by my love for Dinosaur barbecue sauce, which they don’t sell here, and occasionally I buy it from amazon.

And my recent discovery of the amazing

And how wonderful pecans taste tossed in this and put in a food dehydrator

7 Likes

Hmmm…Japanese BBQ sauce. Never heard of such a thing. And have not had any of the above. SOmething new to try!

3 Likes

Oh that Japanese barbecue sauce has the exact amount of ginger, and sweetness to make it pretty wonderful on rice

2 Likes

My favorite commercial sauce is Koon Chun Hoisin sauce.

There’s a global market five minutes from my house where they stock this and many other interesting goodies, but you can get it on Amazon. Add an equal volume of soy sauce and a dash of vegetable oil and you’ve got a great grilling marinade for pork tenderloin or boneless skinless chicken thighs.

My favorite non-commercial recipe for a grilling sauce is Helen Rennie’s grilling sauce. I use it on just about all meats before sous vide.

6 Likes

We keep this stuff in the fridge, just the right balance of sweet, sour, and spice. The Salt Lick is just down the road, but nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.

6 Likes

I generally dislike barbecue sauce. Too sweet and gloopy for me. But if it’s smokey and spicy, I’ll have some on ribs. E.g.

But barbecue sauce aside, I am a condiment consumer. For hot sauces, there can’t be just one. I like to match them to the occasion. There are three that I think go with all Mexican food, and are similar enough to interchange: Cholula, Tapatío, and Valentina. Not super spicy, but big flavor enhancers. Cholula is the easiest for me to get in the grocery stores here, so she’s always in my pantry.

Then of course, for buffalo wings, only one will do:

Those are the “Walmart” sauces. Now for the stuff that’s worth going to some more effort:

If you like a Caribbean style “fruity” sauce, this is the best I’ve found. It’s like a scotch bonnet sauce, but taken to the next level. The fruit, the mustard, and the spice are just spot on. Perfect on eggs and any kind of rice and meat dish.

A surprise entry in this category is:

This is one of those bottles you find in the store in the mall that sells a bunch of generic garbage with labels like “Hurt Ur Butt Sauce”. Except this one is really really good, again if you like a fruity sauce. The predominant note I get is raisins, it’s a nice deep flavor that again goes great on chicken and rice.

Switching direction:

Must have chili crisp. This one is fancy, and expensive, and delicious.

Must stop before I get into salad dressings.

5 Likes

LOL! I’ve got a pork butt smoking in my mini Akron rubbed down with a generous portion of Salt Lick pit rub right now. :yum:

I like SL sauce for brisket, a good North Carolina vinegar-forward mustard sauce for pulled pork, and northern Alabama white sauce for poultry.

4 Likes

Here’s one for you meat eaters…it melts down into a savory sauce. Onion, bacon, jalapeno.
(Pretty good on burgers, melts and cheese sandwiches.)

41oFX6T4vNL.AC_SX466

(DH claims there isn’t anything that isn’t improved by bacon.) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I would be interested if any dedicated foodies have tried mixing their own?
I get many powders from Harmony House foods
I have also things like tamarind paste and ginger that were not from them.

3 Likes

Yes indeed. Making your own is always better than powdered or store bought. (Rarely have time these days though…so I make do with store bought.)

Coincidentally, I picked up a bunch of the Harmony House freeze dried bits for storage, from the first time you mentioned it here…I like the size better than those #10 cans, too much waste with those. You get thoroughly sick of it before you can finish it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Reminds me…I need to do something with a Bearnaise, I’ve been jonesing. (Happens when it gets cooler.)

3 Likes

In no particular order besides how I pulled them out of my fridge:

Left to right: Sesame Salad Dressing, Ponzu, Fish Sauce, Sriracha, yakiniku sauce, and Bulldog sauce (not really bulldog sauce-I didn’t buy the brand name-this one was a dollar cheaper and tastes the same to me).

And then not really a sauce, but we use all the time, including as topping:

Kewpie Mayo

And these are things I always have on hand, and use them regularly or in combination with things like sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes/paste, etc, to make my own sauces.

@Aloha

This stuff and everything like it is awesome on rice.

3 Likes

For salad dressing, I usually mix ponzu, sesame oil, and a dash ground red pepper flakes.

As far as other sauces go, like for Korean BBQ, I makes my own. Those sauces and marinades are usually sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper, garlic, ginger, onion, and sometimes red pepper flakes/paste.

1 Like

This stuff!

It also comes in a normal bottle :slight_smile: It comes from Firehouse Subs restaurants, but is also sold on Amazon. It’s listed as medium on the Scoville, and honestly it’s got so much flavor!! I put it on everything from burritos to omelets :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This is my favorite….

You can only buy the bottles at my favorite bbq restaurant in Rochester, NY (a long drive for us…).

2 Likes

Top four bottled hot sauces:

^^^^^ Tried this in Hawaii, was instantly hooked. Used to have to pay $$$ to ship it, but now it’s available on Amazon.

^^^^^ According to legend, THIS sauce was the original sauce used on chicken wings in Buffalo…

^^^^^ It’s a secret. Shhh… It’s also yummy.

^^^^^ My kids brought this back for me from a road trip. No idea where it came from, but it’s a nice change…

And deserving of special mention (as evidenced by the emptiness of the bottle…) though not TECHNICALLY a hot sauce:

1 Like

Wow, this thread is like a sauce museum!

3 Likes

I LOVE bacon jam!

1 Like

Did you retitle the thread, or was it always called that?

1 Like

and for the midwest jews who like BBQ

1 Like

Hahaha I changed the name based on your suggestion! :slight_smile:

1 Like