Scaling an SVG or PDF / Editing

One of the dumbest things about this machine is that you can’t make it cut even if the whole image isn’t on the page. I have something that I want to scale. It shouldn’t be that hard. I thought hmmm how can I do this effectively. I’m using perfect patterns so if I want to print something bigger I should be able to drag it big enough to have half of the piece hanging off. Im tired of making shit that’s only 12" tall. Why did I buy the passthrough slot? So that I can spend hours on AI and Photoshop and Inkskape just for the app not to like my way of slicing the images. Has anyone figured this out? If it wasn’t for this community I would have sent this pile back already. Yes I have contacted support. [13MCUT.pdf|attachment]
(upload://wwzssucWPQ6K6HsOEuo4LXQzwav.pdf) (105.5 KB)

Here is the image to paint the picture for you. If I cut those 9 layers in half I can make them 20" wide vs the 12 I am doing now.

13MCUT.pdf (105.5 KB)

Yes, we have. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tutorials are available for Illustrator and Inkscape. You didn’t say which you preferred to use so you can just choose your own here in the Matrix (lines 112 through 116):

3 Likes

It doesn’t take hours - if you created such an intricate design, you should be familiar enough with the software to do this. All you need to do is create a new file (SVG would be best) for each “tile” in your design.

Open it, scale as appropriate, then delete the others, “save as” a new file name, and repeat for each. Takes about 10 seconds per tile for the file you uploaded (I use Inkscape…) A tip - when performing operations like this, I keep the original design file open, and use the “undo” command to restore the deleted objects, then delete the next batch. That way, I don’t have to open and scale the original file every time.

Then import as many as you want to print at once.

3 Likes

It looks to me like you could just color each design differently too, which would allow you to control which tile is being cut per job, and even if the others are out of bounds they won’t stop you from cutting.

Personally I’m happy the machine doesn’t allow me to attempt cutting an object when part of it is out of bounds. I’d make a lot more dumb mistakes if it did :smile:

4 Likes

That’s a good point! I didn’t think of that!

2 Likes

Color in AutoCAD is how I handle this exact thing!

2 Likes

It looks like you’ve received some excellent advice from other community members. Thanks folks! I also checked our support history and saw that you’ve reached out to us via email, and we’re working on this there, so I’m going to close this thread.