Scammed on Craigslist and Glowforge helped (the scammer)

Yeah I’m with you on that but it’s not the GF way as it would entail commenting on future developments. I never could understand why the grief they get for not doing some of the basics is worth whatever they avoid by not having to walk something back if it turns out not to be feasible. Heck, Dan spends his life defending the company for not delivering machines, what’s the issue with missing a date to deliver something like this?

3 Likes

We want all the same things. :smiley:

3 Likes

there are some “GF Ways” that are really do seem a bit overboard on the “FNL decides everything so we can’t really comment” side.

3 Likes

It’s axiomatic that, once a company has consulted lawyers about something, the advice given will be followed slavishly regardless of it’s actual merit, futility or absurdity.

4 Likes

@dan, I sent you an email about a week ago and haven’t heard back. Please let me know if you didn’t get it.

1 Like

Hey @dan, could you spare a moment to reply to someone scammed out of $3k because of your platform?

3 Likes

Anybody have cool ideas for re-purposing a dead Glowforge? Putting together a project for Maker Faire.

Potted plant starter with integrated grow light? Back-lit mat cutting/tracing table?

Did you ever go check out the OpenGlow forum? I haven’t looked in a while to see what progress they’ve made, but you might have some hope there.

3 Likes

That is a good idea. Or, maybe OpenGlow needs to buy some spare parts, and @joshua.lutz can use the empty case for his art project.

I am disappointed that the company didn’t spend more effort on outreach here.

2 Likes

I would say it would have to have value to someone even if nothing more than parts. I would think the laser tube would be pretty straight forward to swap and have the most value in a “dead” but still perfectly good unit.

2 Likes

I’d for sure be interested in buying some of the internals.

7 Likes

I realize you’re probably working hard on the air filter, but maybe you could respond to my email @dan?

Sad to hear what happened to you but happy to hear about OpenGlow

1 Like

Thanks. I’m mostly sad I haven’t heard back from @dan. Apparently there’s something about this that has him spooked enough to be hiding behind his legal counsel.

I’m still listed as “Owner” of that Glowforge in the software, and it’s still a lump sitting in my garage. Sad all around.

2 Likes

See how sad? See how someone might think they owned a printer (and an ability to use it) @dan?

1 Like

Buddy, I am infuriated on your behalf.

I don’t expect Dan to fall on his sword over this issue, but simply committing to improve the experience for buyers of used machines seems entirely reasonable. It’s very disappointing that this has not happened.

3 Likes

I would second Jules on every point. Documenting locations and crimes should increase the customers’ security. If someone stole my car or even my Catrike there are serial numbers that make those in theory belong to me even if stolen. When my phone was stolen I know just where the thief went and where he lived. I was able to delete everything on the phone, but the police were less than useless in the matter, and not for the first time. This has made my opinion very low as a result.

Eventually as everything becomes “smart” there are issues of surveillance of those who are legitimate, but the contrary of tracking the location of every item such theft should become risky indeed if the police did their job. In this the Glowforge should not be a lot different in knowing where it was at least when powered on, and just as buying a car is more of a hassle of transferring ownership the record of ownership of any wifi connected device should have the same or similar rituals.

3 Likes

If Glowforge is going to soft lock deices they deem “stolen” maybe they could build a simple application to facilitate transferring devices from one owner to another before any cash exchanges hands. I wouldn’t need to be much more complicated then a shopping cart connected to PayPal.

5 Likes

Is anyone else astonished that someone unpacked a GF in a Starbucks?

3 Likes

Yeah. Me. It wasn’t an easy task. Powered it up and everything.

3 Likes