Scanning and calibration getting stuck - are we having an outage?

Just ran two prints in the last hour, no problems.

When I pay nearly $5000 dollars for a machine I expect it to work whenever I choose to use it. If it requires the cloud to work then it needs to have 100% uptime, or very close, like gmail. If they can’t do that they should give up on the cloud and run the web app locally on the machine like OctoPrint.

10 Likes

I am also completely stuck on calibration. This happened to me once before but I was able to quickly resolve it that time by power cycling and moving the head to the center. This time I’ve performed numerous power cycles, web app logout/logins, moving the head under the camera (yes, with the power off), etc. and no dice. I appear to be permanently stuck at “Calibrating the head of your Glowforge. This can take a few minutes.” Quite frustrating as I was intending to print out part of a Halloween costume that I need for tonight.

I avoid Cloud-based anything where-ever possible… but there is no other option here so needs must

10 Likes

The more Glowforge owners recieve their Glowforge more data will be pushed through the Glowforge servers - I hope that they have accounted for this issue.
If it is an issue.

They aren’t Glowforge’s servers. I believe they are Google’s servers.

5 Likes

I’m sorry this happened to you.
I’m glad it started working again. I recall it happened to me once. Only once, I believe. Regardless, of course you’re absolutely right… if the cause is on the software side it cannot be allowed to happen with any frequency. I realize I’m stating the obvious but, 99.x% uptime is really required for the success of all parties.

1 Like

Was good all afternoon. 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM CDT inactive while I was working on something else, but it remained turned on, and had no error upon loading a new design.

1 Like

It got stuck on Scanning again, but when I took a screenshot to complain about it properly, my screenshot program locked up, demonstrating that ALL software is unreliable these days. I cancelled and started again, and the scanning went just fine, but now it’s hung up on preparing. This shouldn’t take long, the “design” is just a single cut line. Oh well, I guess I’ll just keep cancelling and starting over until I luck out and get connected to a working server.

I’ll just leave this here.

1 Like

Just to continue my evening fun report: Cut the the line successfully and afterward it started calibrating again but never finished. Power cycled and got it to calibrate.

There’s a time in development when your service hasn’t launched yet and you’re ok not having adequate monitoring and a 24/7 on-call rotation. That time has passed.

Oh, by the way, I finished making the stuff I wanted to make, so there’s that. Service interruptions aside, this machine is so friggin’ awesome.

5 Likes

I was thinking Amazons but either way…

1 Like

They use Google Cloud Services.

Whats interesting is this…

2 Likes

FYI, I powered on my machine about an hour after your OP. No issue calibrating. Scanning definitely took longer than I’m used to. A couple of minutes rather than several seconds. “Preparing design” took eh… a bit long, really, at ~5 mins. But the job is 19" x 5" and has about 15 objects that will take 3 hours(?!) to complete. So maybe that’s okay. Job is currently running.

Yeah that is a concern for me… does Glowforge have access to our images?

I would assume so. It would be very advantageous for them from a development and diagnostic perspective.

We’ve seen an increased number of failures tonight - not an outage but a suspiciously high failure rate. The team’s been investigating. They’re still tracking down the root cause, but they believe that they’ve mitigated it now. Please start a new P&S ticket if you’re still seeing this tonight.

3 Likes

I’ve been stuck at Scanning, post-job, for several minutes now. If I need to close the app, I’ll be really screwed since I sized the job in the app and I need to run off one section of it on another material. That’ll mean the last 3 hours that it took to do the job will have been completely wasted.

Edit: SON OF A… The app is just completely hung in Scanning. I powered off and it’s still spinning saying it’s scanning. (Also dropdown shows Offline like it should right now.) UGH! If I lost this…

Edit: It’s not going to recover, is it… 3 hours and a sheet of :proofgrade: Thick Maple Ply, down the drain.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

As @dan mentioned, the high failure rates should now be mitigated, so I’m going to close this thread. However, if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic.

Thanks again!