Scanning material, uploading design, then crash back to main screen?

Hi, some of my designs will go through the scanning material and uploading design screens, but then once it finishes uploading it goes back to the image of the laser bed and I have to keep doing it again several times until it works, sometimes it won’t until I change the design or delete parts of the design?

I’m using .svg files and tried converting to PDF. It’s just a font that I am engraving, sometimes it works, sometimes it won’t.

Are you converting the text (fonts) to paths before saving the SVG? The GFUI won’t do text - it needs to be paths (vectors).

yes all fonts were converted to path. I have a repeating font, and if I delete half of it, it works, it’s like it can’t handle a big image with lots of data? Also it takes forever to load on the screen and takes forever once you move it for everything to load (1-2 minutes)

Some fonts generate ridiculously complicated paths. Anything over 10,000 nodes seems to start to push the GFUI’s limits. You can also try rasterizing the text - do a convert to bitmap and then engrave it instead of scoring. If you were trying to engrave the paths sometimes the paths created aren’t fully closed and that will cause the GF to spit it back out and go back to the bed image.

1 Like

I’ve experienced some of this and there were 2 causes I could pinpoint
1 - slow/low wifi connection either by distance to router or fluctuations due to traffic.
2 - dirty camera lens

You could reset router, move it closer, keep devices off network or wait it out and don’t forget to clean lens.

Thanks for the answer @jamesdhatch, that’s right.

@nemesis: here are a couple of options:

1. You can create a bitmap copy of your design. Here are instructions on how to do so in Inkscape:
  • Open Inkscape.

• Go to File > Open and select your file.

• Go to Edit > Preferences > Bitmaps.

• Under Create, change the Resolution for Create Bitmap Copy to the resolution of your choice (I tried this out for you and 300 dpi worked well in my opinion).

• Close the Preferences window.

• Select the part of your image that you plan to engrave.

• Choose Edit > Make a Bitmap Copy.

• Inkscape will make a bitmap copy on top of the original artwork.

• Click the top artwork to select it, drag it off of the original artwork, and delete the original artwork. You’ll be left with the bitmap copy.

• Make sure that your bitmap is aligned properly with any other elements of your design.

• Select File > Save As and save the file as a Inkscape SVG file.

• Upload your file to the app and print.

1. Alternately, you can find the spots where the path is open and close the paths.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

1 Like