Schedule update (December '16)

Just want to share a solution to those who like me, were basing a business model on the Glowforge because I am tired of the “If you are not happy, go ahead and cancel” cookie cutter answer. Here are the steps I took:

1. I bought 2 Glowforge Pro during the pre-orders in October and cancelled 1 of them after the 2nd delay (I think the 2nd maybe 3d) from June to December of this year.
  2. Researched online and bought a chinese laser from G Weike with the money from my cancelled Pro. Got it in August (Yes, all the way from China on a boat, to a port 6 hours away from my home and then to my doorstep).
  3. Set it up, learned how to align mirrors, fix motor issues, software issues, set material parameters, and started my first personal projects. All by September. Started working on a product catalog.
  4. Started promoting my business in October. Got first orders in October from friends and acquaintances.
  5. Set up some stands at flea markets selling products made on my laser only. Started making actual money in November.
  6. Holiday sales are starting to ramp up and it seems like this will be a profitable business if handled correctly. First business clients are starting to come in.
  7. Latest delay announced and I am considering cancelling my remaining Pro and using the money for materials, promotion, etc. I will probably be able to afford it at retail price when it comes out (hopefully) next year with the profits from business. Or maybe I’ll just wait. I haven’t decided because I haven’t run the numbers in detail of either choice.

My point is this. If you are thinking of starting a laser-based business, don’t wait and start moving. All the bells and whistles the Glowforge offers are there to make your life easier but by no means are they necessary to begin making money from a laser. Who knows what will happen between now and July 2017.
Even if you don’t want to start a business you could start making things now with another machine and would probably learn a lot more about lasers that way.

And last but not least, please go ahead and complain. We should let Glowforge know we are not OK with the way they have handled communication and set expectations. Someone throws T&Cs on your face? Keep complaining. It is your right and duty.

29 Likes

Awesome man! Thats exciting to hear. Do you have an online presence for your laser cutting business?

1 Like

Yes. You can find us here:
http://quetzalstudio.com/

15 Likes

Really nice work. You did a lot of great preparation for your business. You’re 100% right that you don’t need a GF to run a business, it might be easier but it’s not necessary (I have a couple of Chinese sourced lasers myself). The real hurdle is spending the time to develop your skills with the machine & the designs and putting together a portfolio. The work you’ve done in that arena is outstanding. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your great work!
Your post is one of my favorite because not only does it show your determination to succeed, it shows that you found a situation to have a business now.

Wishing you all the success!

5 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Not sure if you have tried it yet. If you take your work to some of those boutique shops, you can get more exposure! For example, in my Cake Shop we sell some cute merchandise from local artists - handmade cupcake birthday cards, acrylic cupcakes necklaces… etc…, you can discuss terms with the owners. Terms like - they get a percentage when the item sells or some places will out right buy your items and put their own retail price on it.

1 Like

Welcome to postmodernism. “Mah feels trump your facts…because mah feels!”

1 Like

I’ve thought about it but haven’t had the time to do it yet. Thanks for the reminder! :grinning:

1 Like

kudos to you @jdodds! :slight_smile: If it goes across the audience is a whole other matter…

I do love the logo!

So do I. @ugalanding, did you design that?

• Tom
2 Likes

Very nicely done! Kudos for your GET IT DONE attitude.

2 Likes

@dawime Thanks!
@thomas.alessi.jr Yes, I designed the logo myself. I’m currently the graphic designer / web designer / production manager / you name it /super stressed person of Quetzal Studio, haha :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Not as ambitious a project but am in the process of going the same route.
I have a WER 1000mw laser on order and will start learning it while waiting for next July.
I’m looking for anyone that can point me in the right direction to use this unit with a Mac.

https://www.amazon.com/WER-Engraver-Printer-Industry-Engraving/dp/B01DG5JWAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481137641&sr=8-1&keywords=wercan+3d+printer+company

1 Like

I think it’s more:

Some folks aren’t happy about the delays and want to vent. Others have different opinions and also want to vent.

If it’s okay for people to feel mad and air how mad they are, it should also be okay for people who feel otherwise to do the same. Yeah, it’s annoying to hear about the terms and conditions a bunch, but it’s annoying to hear about all the other arguments a bunch, too. I don’t think it’s okay to just demand one side be silent (bearing in mind there are more than two sides – it’s definitely not an us versus them situation, and we shouldn’t let it become that) because they’re less mad or more mad. If anyone gets to talk, everyone gets to talk, as long as they’re being polite and respectful. No one has to like what they say, but they should be allowed to say it.

Or no one can be allowed to talk. That’s a viable option, too, I guess.

4 Likes

Nice job and great work!

1 Like

very nice work

1 Like

@dan I have to say I have been involved in a number of Kickstarters, Indiego, and StartEngine projects, NONE have ever been on time. One of which is for a new car on the market which I not only put a non-refundable deposit on it, I also invested money in the company. I am waiting 4 years now for that car and I can still say it will be worth the wait. I expected a delay from GF but like other groundbreaking investments it will be worth the wait. Keep moving forward. I know I am losing opportunities with my business due to this delay, but I will make up for it when it gets here, I’m sure. Thanks for the update and the effort you and your team are doing.
Domenick

11 Likes