School auction project: Traditional and modern woodworking

Before my Glowforge arrived, the majority of my projects were made using either a 3D printer or with traditional woodworking techniques and tools. Now that the Glowforge is part of our family, I am able to combine these tools and techniques to great effect.

The following project is a blanket chest/toy box that I made for my children’s school fundraising auction. I made the chest out of white oak and then engraved the students’ artwork on the panels using our Glowforge to lase white oak veneer. I also took a photo of the class which was engraved on the inside of the lid.

If you live near Seattle and need larger quantities of veneer from a range of wood species, I highly recommend checking out Crosscut Hardwoods in the SoDo neighborhood on 1st avenue. They have large sheets of unfinished veneers with or without the 3M adhesive backing.

41 Likes

Very nicely done!!

2 Likes

Awesome idea for an auction too! Looks great! :grinning:

3 Likes

That is an awesome idea! I love white oak. The image of the children make it timeless.

3 Likes

Very nice, and thanks for the tip. Haven’t been to cross cut in ages.

2 Likes

What an incredible item and worthy cause. Adding the student artwork was a great idea and made it so personal and special.

4 Likes

It turned out fantastic and a real worthy cause. Kudos to you.

3 Likes

Oh wow, what a neat project! I hope it fetches a tidy sum.

3 Likes

Without context, this thing is a little creepy… I could imagine the story now of the cursed toybox, every child trapped inside gets added to the picture in the lid.

Or maybe I’m just morbid.

Nicely done though!

4 Likes

Great project for a school auction! The kids must have been so excited to see their drawings engraved on the toy box.

3 Likes

Well done! Love how you could make a really nice project great by using your Glowforge!

3 Likes