School district IT eliminated 2.4 gigahertz wifi

As part of an “upgrade” of our school wifi, so that more chrome books could connect. they turned off the 2.4 gh routers. My two GF pro machines are now obsolete. There are some closed threads here but no clear solutions. Suggestions?

1 Like

There are wifi extenders that can bridge 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz networks, so theoretically, there is probably a workaround. I would get with your IT department and have them help with a solution.

4 Likes

Can they turn a router back on for you? That really seems like the simplest plan.

You can use a phone as a hotspot if you have the data or can connect that to the school WiFi, but that’s a bit of a pain.

2 Likes

Similar to what @ChristyM mentioned, there are also cellular wifi (mifi) hubs that you can get that would work. Obviously there would be additional cost and bandwidth concerns to think about.

1 Like

Yeah, given what I know about school budgets, I was trying to think of free-ish solutions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They should be able to enable a 2.4Ghz network on the 5Ghz router. They can even lock it down to just the GF MAC addresses so they keep the school’s chromebook traffic on the 5Ghz network. Just a few minutes in the router’s admin application.

10 Likes

Hello @jvoss, thank you for reaching out with your question. It looks as though you are getting some great answers from our community members. Thank you everyone!

We typically suggest using a hot spot, but depending on how your Glowforge units are set up and if you have a service in the building, that might not be feasible.

I would run a few of the suggestions you received here past your IT department and see what they think. If they have any questions for us, please let us know. We’re happy to help.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. I hope you IT department is able to come up with a workable solution for you. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again with any additional questions you may have.