Scissor lift tables

Good point, why didn’t I go for the future tech handbag right off? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Maybe we are thinking about this backwards. Instead of making the glowforge easier to move and carry, we could make you stronger and better at carrying! With one of those robot-exoskeleton-suit-things.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.

15 Likes

That will work. I’d modify the idea slightly and put the wheels under the “table-top” and have them run in “stopped” channels on the trolley. That way the GF could be slid onto any even surface, add wheels with a braking system and the GF could be slid onto a table and the trolley hidden away.

3 Likes

…and at a mere $6,000,000, incredibly inexpensive.

3 Likes

So a mini-cart, and a custom table/larger cart. It actually removes the need to be concerned with matching height to vehicle loading, since you can use small ramps, and deal with a less extreme incline in the process.

Locking wheels on the mini-cart would be an absolute requirement, since you don’t want it to roll around in the vehicle during transport.

The elegance of this solution is that it is more universally valuable. As long as your vehicle has no lip on the entry to your cargo compartment, it should work for every Glowforge owner out there.

Instead of locking wheels, you could use stands/legs which are ever so slightly longer than the wheels, but can be retracted during relocation.

1 Like

Good idea or put the wheels on eccentric cams which allow them to “rotate” into the body when not in use, could be a little more difficult to achieve methinks.

1 Like

This reminds me of the caliper design, get a group of creative minds pointed at a problem and ideas flow…
What a resource!

3 Likes

maybe some variation on the lifting casters or leveling casters discussed in the Size of the Glowforge thread

2 Likes

Side mount wheels that flip down. Perfect for on the sides of the mini-cart. Now my need to overcomplicate everything has me wondering if those wheels could be designed to sit in front and back and set level with the pass-through slot when locked in the upright position… It would require removing the lever for engaging the wheels to do that, so also inventing a new way to move them between positions… probably too complicated to try for.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a van with something similar. It had a lockable table top over the rollers. They would adjust the height to match the vehicle, unlock the top, then push the top into the van. Inside the van they had a very similar set of rollers that would allow the top to glide in easily. Collapse the cart, load it up, and leave. Wish I knew what it was called.

Johnny Quest?

3 Likes

Jonny Quest…robot spy. Yes!! One of my favorite shows as a kid😀

3 Likes

I’m a little surprised this crazy talented community hasn’t mentioned the gurney style salesmaker cart yet. It’s designed smaller to fit into standard cars, two side by side could fit.

10 Likes

Not a specific brand, but the forum has had a lot of time to ponder possibilities.

edited: to remove a stupid link error on my part. Have a reputation to maintain.

3 Likes

Ahh! Thread Recursion! :wink:

4 Likes

Ya know. I didn’t even notice the Topic title.

Was carrying a first surface mirror out to the yard working on something in prep for the Eclipse trip and accidentally flash blinded myself. Still seeing spots.

1 Like

Sweet, but a quick search suggests that prices are comparable to the GF itself. (Which might be needed to protect your investment, and yet)

1 Like

New yes, they pop up occasionally used for around $300. :wink:

1 Like

For the diyer in you…

10 Likes