Scorching

Second time asking. What should I do about the back side of proof grade acrylic material getting scorched (staying with your settings)?

It is called Flashback.

Is it getting scorched through the masking? It is normal fo the masking to look a little scorched. That is why it is there. It prevents the PG material itself from being scorched.

2 Likes

Cut back on power or increase speed so that it just cuts through. Some folks put a piece of paper underneath the material to prevent the flash from the laser hitting the metal tray marring the materials. Are you keeping the masking on?

3 Likes

Thanks but he masking is on and material is still getting scorched. As another person just replied was to cut back on power and increase speed. I am new to this. I assume that no matter that every machine is built the same, they still are different.

That was the same person and that’s an “or”

Don’t get me wrong, you can try adjusting both at once but you’ll have more control of what change alters the outcome if you only either change the power or change the speed.

2 Likes

Hi @arzojames. I’m sorry to hear that Proofgrade Acrylic material is scorching on the back of your recent prints. I’ll be happy to join the discussion and help you get this sorted out.

First, could you post photos of the front and back of the most recent print that resulted in the scorches on the back of material? Along with that, can you include the date and approximate time of the print? I can use those as I review any extracted log files from your Glowforge to isolate any potential cause of the print trouble.

Next, Proofgrade materials with Proofgrade settings keep the print calibrated to its designed specifications for cleaner cuts, engraves, and overall print quality. To give me a better idea of how your Glowforge is performing against expectations, can you also do the following?

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.
  • When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.

I’ll look forward to hearing back. Thank you!

After checking out more of my cuts I’m finding that the scorch isn’t as bad as I first thought. The more I use it, the more I’m getting the hang of things. But thanks for replying and will get in touch if I have any more problems. Really enjoying my GF

2 Likes

Hi @azrojames. I’m happy to hear that the issue with scorching isn’t as bad as you thought, and it’s great to hear that you’re enjoying your Glowforge. I’ll go ahead and close this thread since the issue is resolved, however don’t hesitate to create a new thread, or write us at support@glowforge.com if you encounter any other trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help. Happy printing!