Scoring through spray paint

Has anyone scored through spray paint? Does it gas off? Safe?

Saying “spray paint” doesn’t tell us/you much as they put anything and everything in spray cans. Acrylic is generally safe. Other things you need to check the MSDS* for the particular item.

*material safety data sheet, can be found on line for just about everything with a little google foo.

3 Likes

All the time.

As stated, check the composition of your “spray paint” for VOCs.

These are both pre-painted then engraved (not scored but no difference, paint is vaporized.

5 Likes

Makes sense. I hadn’t really thought that one through lol. Made this for my daughter the other day and was thinking about something similar (but different theme) for my youngest where scoring would be nice.

6 Likes

I use a lot of acrylic spray paint on a wood and acrylic and then engrave it. I initially researched it quite a bit and didn’t find anything alarming and so far so good. (But I’m no authority on it so take it for what it’s worth.)

These are about 6 different layers of engraved paint.

11 Likes

Scoring I don’t know so much…Engraving yeah.

4 Likes

Love the stagecoach…awesome design.

1 Like

Can you recommend any particular acrylic brands to look for? I looked at an MSDS sheet for Krylon Matte clear spray and the ingredient list is gibberish to me. I’ve found a few water based sprays that seem like they might be better. Looking at a SDS for PintyPlus acrylic sprays, the last ingredient is “supplier trade secret” :expressionless:

1 Like

I wish I could but I have not done that much with spray acrylics. Any of them should be fine after they are thoroughly dry.
Yes, MSDS can look like gibberish, look at the section that calls out what it puts out when burning, that’s where you will find red flags if there are any. Should be mostly Co2 and other carbon compounds.

3 Likes