Scoring tooling lines on leather

Outstanding.

Can you post a picture the tools?

4 Likes

These are the ones I used on the rose. They’re a cheap Chinese-made set I found on eBay so I could try out tooling before spending too much money. (I have a feeling I’m going to be spending too much money.)

9 Likes

Hmm. but what’s this “swivel knife”?

1 Like

I wonder if you could modify a tool like the second one from the left and grind it flat and make your own stamp ends out of delrin or acrylic that snapped over the end or friction fit onto it?

1 Like

I tried an experimental one engraved in thick PG acrylic and stuck an acrylic post on it (also from thick acrylic), and it worked pretty well, considering I had no idea what I was doing at the time. :wink:

Also I did a larger one that I posted about recently, that I put through my Cricut Cuttlebug: Leather stamp from acrylic

3 Likes

I think it turned out fabulously!

2 Likes

Very impressive! I’m glad you were not deterred by the information that it wouldn’t work…

3 Likes

Seriously? I know we all see the flaws in our own work but honestly, that’s a gorgeous piece. The shadows are well done and give it the depth I think you were going for. The outlines are crisp and clean. I would expect that starting with a precision pattern gives a slightly wider margin of error in the later steps. Anyway, good on you! It looks great.

6 Likes

Thank you! That gives me hope that I can master this. I’ve been watching videos trying to get a feel for the art, but it’s kind of hard to know if I’m doing it right with no one to give me feedback on my work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I work in wood not leather so I have no expertise to provide criticism of the work, constructive or otherwise. However, I’m an expert on what I like and if that piece is any indication I’m sure you will be up to speed in no time. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

4 Likes

Looks fine to me

4 Likes

That’s a nice engrave! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That looks gorgeous - carry on!

5 Likes

Beautiful work. Very hard to believe it is a first time piece. Well done!

2 Likes

Looks great

2 Likes

That is awesome!! Wonderful leatherwork! Is this part of an article of clothing to go with the leather mask? :slight_smile: Now you have the metal tools to go along with an evil james bond torture costume… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

It’s a “cable keeper” requested by my daughter. You add a snap to the holes and fold it in half and snap in around your phone cable or whatever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool!!!

1 Like

It is time for you to put your Big Girl Panties on and join me at the Facebook group——The Leather Gals,

Outstanding!!! Your a natural.

1 Like