Scroll saw bowl import error in GFUI

I’ve got one worked up. (Didn’t want to offer it if you preferred to learn to do it in Inkscape.)

Let me know if you want to give it a try. (Version 3 looks a lot like what you have there.) :slightly_smiling_face:

/confused not sure what you are saying

you know how to fix my work flow or you fixed the file ?

or both ?

No, I created one in Illustrator. That works a little better for something like this…the lines are joined instead of individual segments.

O, I don’t have AI and that doesn’t help me to much in figuring out how to get fusion stuff out

Okay, wasn’t sure if you wanted to stick to Inkscape. Good luck with it! :slightly_smiling_face:

I was at a wedding, and have had a few, but stand by my babbling… :stuck_out_tongue:

Basically if you can generate all the points that the lines go through, and export as a text file in some way and get it into Excel, then you can graph the points. The graph in excel can make a really clean pdf that is good for exporting into programs like inkscape. It’s how I make the above pattern sort of…

2 Likes

I can get this
but I don’t know what to do with it

1 Like

That export out of Fusion is insane. I tried looking at it to see if there was a way to simplify it in Inkscape, and it couldn’t process it. It just hung up trying, and I gave it half an hour before I had to terminate it.

The problem is that the curves are TOO complex. If you imagine a circle that has 360-degrees to it, your Fusion export is writing 360 line segments for each 1-degree segment of a circle. This is instead of writing a Bezier curve, which would only require 2 points. It’s horribly inefficient by a long shot.

Yours has multiple ripples, and multiple rings… so the fact that it’s doing individual line segments for every 1-degree of a segment, multiplied by however many rings (10?) and the multiple ripples to form a circle… well…

Normally I’d use Inkscape to select a path and then chose Path > Simplify function to create a set of simplified Bezier points, but all those teeny tiny lines chokes it.

ok so simply didn’t work even when I picked just 2 or 3 items it made them oblong but still did not join them. I exported instead the grid from fusion as a dxf and using the spiro path tool gets the same effect I want BUT>… I don’t know how to make the spiro click snap to the intersection points

edit: figured it out I had to enable all the snap options on the right and do stroke to path then it gives a invisable snap point that you have to hover around at wicked high zoom to find but it works

2 Likes

got it all re created… but its oblong because inch to metric conversion is not precise

so I cant use it back to the drawing board blah with any luck at some point GF will be able to take fusion directly

and the spiro tool in inkscape does not look as nice as spline from fusion so double boo

Sorry so long to reply , I was driving back from Toronto today.

If your game, I’m going to PM you my email, or can you post that text file of the points, and I think I have an idea. If I get it to work, I’ll post my how to.

Please and thank you.

I think I figured out a technique that gives a pretty good spiral and you can tweak it as you need to using Inkscape.

Use the Create Stars and Polygons tool.

Pick the Star and give it 15 points. A ratio of .9 and rounded .5. You can tweak these settings to get the squiggle you prefer.

Give it whatever dimensions you want the inner object. Four inches works well with 12% increase each ring and 14 iterations.

Then use the tiled clone tool to make copies that scale larger and larger.

On the Shift Tab make sure all are zero, including exponent. That will put all the clones on top of one another.

Then in the Scale Tab on the per row put zero scale x and scale y and per column 12% in scale x and scale y. use one row and 14 columns for 14 copies. if you start with a 4" original figure, it will fill the usable area. 11% and 15 columns also works for thinner and more rings.

Delete the original and select all and make the strokes a consistent width. [I tried to prevent the scaling of the stroke with this but even with that preference turned off, it still scaled them.)

Here is an SVG of the file this produced. Tell me if it works. This seemed to be the fastest way I have figured out.

myspiralbowl

Final post: .8 for the spoke ratio and .25 for the rounded will give a more pronounced squiggle but is a bit distorted. @jordanloshinsky’s bowl gradually rounds out toward the outside. More to figure out in how to generate it exactly.

25 Likes

That’s a great write-up! I keep forgetting all the cool little gimmicks that Inkscape has up it’s sleeve. And the great thing is, the resulting SVG is in the <50 KB range and no longer the >1 MB monstrosity. :smiley:

3 Likes

Genius! I wonder if it works similarly in Illustrator.

1 Like

That is a much more simple and easier way then I do with a great result. Thabks for putting that together!

1 Like

That is a great alternative but just like I found useing the spiro tool and making clones and re sizing is that in the next size up and put etc they are all the same. In the fusion using spine the geometry are diffrent per layer they aren’t just the next size up

1 Like

Indeed, the problem is that the source image is too big for our software (and many other programs!) to handle. Thank you for reporting it; it will help us improve our software.

There’s some great Inkscape advice here, too, so I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual.

6 Likes

Make your inner-most squiggle with whatever params you want, then your larger outer-most squiggle lessening the Spoke Ratio, then use the Extensions > Generate from path > Interpolate… feature to create all the steps in between, including the blend between squiggle amount.

In Illlustrator you can use the Blend function to do the same.

For both of these, it helps to have the same number of points in the star objects, but they don’t have to be (you’ll get varying results, if at all).

13 Likes

Ha. I was wondering how to do this automatically. I was doing it ring by ring adjusting the ratio and generating the next. Then you have to align them. Hang loose and I’ll do this.

2 Likes

Aw man that works awesome! And easy as pie!

Star Bowl

Star Bowl.svg.zip (23.8 KB)

10 Likes