Seattle folks -- local supplier for 3mm baltic birch ply or other staple woods?

Update. Went shopping at Crosscut yesterday. Fabulous shop, TONS of great material for the woodworker and some very nice and helpful folks there. I grabbed four sheets 5x5 3mm for a grand total of $72.67. The folks at crosscut were nice enough to cut the sheets into 20(ish) inch strips for me, made it much easier for me to transport that than sailing four 25sqft sails down the highway. I broke the sheets down further at home and ended up with 60 sheets roughly 20x12 (minus n * table saw kerf).

@evansd2: since you highlighted the variance in thickness as a potential problem for you: a few spot checks across multiple sheets seem to indicate that the thickness of these is pretty consistent, just over 3mm (3.10, 3.08, 3.11). I went over all of my sheets and checked them for voids and internal glue patches. As anticipated, there are quite a few.

For me those patches are a problem for a variety of projects, since I work with living hinges quite a bit, and a big void or glue patch will simply not work for those projects. But… knowing where there are issues with the sheets makes it relatively easy to place my shapes accordingly. One thing of note: the crosscut sheets feel distinctly more wobbly than woodpecker, and the outside veneers are a tiny bit thinner. I’ll update this once i have cut a few sheets on the Glowforge.

2 Likes