Seattle Symbol

I remember years ago, 1998, my first time travelling to Seattle. I stayed in a motel in a neighborhood which at the time only had warehouses and this very visible and emblematic car wash. 20 years later, we have been in the Seattle area for about 12 years and despite the monumental changes to that part of town, it is still there, pink and all. My wife love this as well so I decided to recreate it in acrylic. The base is the fluo pink available in the Glowforge store. Rest is 1/8 White, Red, Black and various little pieces I had around. My plan is to get a base with some LEDs to light it from below. It is about 8x7 inches. It will fit nicely on one of her bookshelf.

I’ll post pictures when I have the base figured out. Feedback welcomed.

Challenges:

• Recreating the design from pictures in Illustrator
  • Figuring out the composition
  • Gluing it together - Used the fast setting syrupy acrylic glue from TAP. Worked well!
  • looks a bit orange but the pink will come out with LEDs lighting I hope
40 Likes

You might look for UV-LEDs as they will cause the Florescent pink to emit its own light.

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Looks awesome hope to see the full lit piece.

1 Like

Wow! Amazing job. It’s really a lot of work to recreate something like this in illustrator but you really nailed it!

1 Like

I fell in love with the transparent pink acrylic too - she is going to love it!

1 Like

Fantastic job! (And love the story…that would be something I’d do too!) :smile:

1 Like

Nice.

1 Like

Awesome!

And it’s so nice it’s still there as everything around it changes–I recall seeing that when our family made trips to Seattle Center (starting in late '60s–ageing myself here, ahem) but I think the “Toe” Truck may have finally gotten the boot, so to speak. I don’t recall seeing it when I was at the Mercer/Fairview intersection a couple months ago…

A very fun project … And executed very well!

1 Like