Semi Precious Stones

Can anyone advise please if these stones can be engraved? They just say semi precious from Michaels. Thanks. If they can, do I prep it? What setting? Thanks

3 Likes

I have engraved Labradorite before (can’t remember the settings I used)

4 Likes

I’ve not heard of a stone that isn’t safe to laser, and I’ve seen many stones engraved nicely.

Start at 1000 speed, full power, 225-270 LPI IMO. Don’t touch the stone after the engraving is done, first check if you like the depth you achieved. If not, hit print again to run a second pass. As long as you’ve moved neither the stone nor the artwork, it’ll engrave over the same exact place as the first time (even if it doesn’t look lined up on your screen).

Once you’re satisfied with the result, you can enter the number of passes it took in the number of passes box on the engrave settings, and save it to use on the rest of the stones.

14 Likes

Thanks

It turned out great! Thank you so much for your setting suggestions. I started at 225 but liked it at 270.

4 Likes

There are stones that are not safe that are heavy in dangerous elements, but Labradorite is not one of them, nor is most anything agate.

3 Likes

Relocated to Beyond the Manual, the only section for discussion of manual settings and non-Proofgrade materials.

6 Likes

Thanks I’ll keep that information for future.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see your results.

1 Like

please show us a picture. We would love to see the results.

@geek2nurse did you intend to post this in the contest section? :smile: It’s awesome by the way…

3 Likes

and @geek2nurse I suppose this could be malachite + chrysoprase + lapis lazuli + turquoise. It looks like gem material…

That’s really pretty!

Those three are among the worst to actually put in a Glowforge.

the look however is really awesome :heart_eyes:

No kidding; I would hope no one thought I suggested that.

1 Like

Oops!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.