Sensory Deprivation Tank

Hi, I have the opportunity, and I’m taking it, to have an hour in a Sensory Deprivation (float) tank. I’m pretty excited and a bit nervous. I’m not nervous because I feel like I would freak out. It’s just that “trying something new” kind of nervous. I think that I’m really going to like it.

Anyone have experience in a float tank?

10 Likes

I would love to try one. With the way my brain works during normal stimulus times I’m pretty sure I’d trip.

2 Likes

Two members of my family have done it and found it quite interesting/relaxing.

3 Likes

I’m kind of afraid that I might just fall asleep and miss the whole thing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve totally done that mediating. Work out some kind of internal watchdog. Having not done it I don’t know if you can tell though?

2 Likes

me too. would be great to try. adding to my bucket list.

4 Likes

Mark, I googled this for you: Your First Float - Just Float, The World’s Largest Float Therapy Center

Your first time is $60. Another thing I’m afraid of is that I will like it too much and want to make it a regular thing.

5 Likes

My ADHD brain can’t comprehend the appeal. Nothing to do? Nothing to look at or listen to? For a whole HOUR? Eeeek!

6 Likes

No, not nothing to do. Go anywhere your mind wants to take you. Probably super beneficial for non neurotypicals if properly prepared.

4 Likes

Can you bring your phone? Seems like a great opportunity to catch up on Facebook.

5 Likes

hahahahaha

1 Like

Dang, within drivable distance and not overly expensive.
I really have no excuse now.

2 Likes

I can’t stand to be touched. Not a germ thing, an Asperger’s thing. Can’t count the number of massage gift certificates that friends thought would be funny to give me. I can’t say for sure whether a sensory deprivation tank would be heaven or would I just imagine hands coming out of the darkness. Yeah, and new things also make me highly uncomfortable.

5 Likes

I have always wanted to try this! Please report back.

3 Likes

My only experience is second hand from watching the movie Altered States.

3 Likes

I am so with you on this. I can’t begin to imagine how anyone could willingly subject themselves to a massage.

It’s one of the standard “perks” where I work. You get points supposedly redeemable for this torture.

3 Likes

Will do for sure.

1 Like

This is pretty much the opposite. :slight_smile: you feel nothing, see nothing, hear nothing. The water and air are supposed to be skin temperature so you don’t even feel that.

1 Like

If I can imagine a monster under the bed it’s pretty easy to imagine hands coming from out of the darkness.

2 Likes

Getting a massage is one of my FAVORITE things!!

1 Like