Server is acting up AGAIN

Yup! And that’s my point - if everyone having an issue opened a support ticket, then it would get the appropriate priority (and they would know, so they could update the status). Whining about it in other peoples’ threads or on failbook won’t accomplish anything.

A handful of tickets (which is what we have now) is just business as usual.

Which is why I would hope/wish that it is automatically monitored.

However, we are now all speculating wildly on what does happen, what we wish happened, what might have happened.

We know the status page does not automatically update for all outages, what we have no idea about is whether anybody at GF gets notified of such outages and if there is an engineer there to fix them on a sunday evening.

I suggest we knock this thread on the head.

My machine has been stuck for two days now. Completed one print yesterday went to start a second and head and track don’t move anywhere. All I get is centering and focusing message but it never leaves home position. I’ve done everything but take my machine apart at this point and when I check GF status is says all systems operational. I’m newer to GF so wasn’t sure what the deal was but appears I’m not the only one. Very frustrating.

Welcome to the forum, @coltonglover44. FYI, posting in this section (Problems and Support) opens a support ticket. Each ticket is limited to one customer, for tracking purposes, so you’ll need to start your own thread rather than posting on someone else’s ticket. :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve continued to run into trouble. It does appear that your original forum post, and the behavior you were experiencing was related to the outage, and another snag we’ve identified while extracting the log files from your Glowforge.

In these logs we have a record of the average signal strength the Glowforge is capturing from the network it’s connected to. On average, this signal strength has been low over the last week, with average strength at around -67Bm as of today. For more context, on networks with very good signal strength, this will often run closer to -30dBm. A signal strength at -70dBm or lower would be very difficult to stay connected to.

I’d like to see if the same behavior occurs when utilizing a hotspot connection, so that we can isolate your Wi-Fi network.

Your Glowforge needs internet access. However, it does not need to be connected to the same network as the computer, phone, or tablet you are using to print.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. This is a good way to rule out Wi-Fi interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

Let us know how it goes! If you run into the same behavior while utilizing the hotspot, I’ll send over the next best steps.

My internet is NOT the issue. There are multiple people not only on here but also the GF Facebook pages that are also experiencing this issue.

I have a dedicated Access Point just for the GF and it’s only 15 ft away at best.

Edit: Even if the logs show a poor connection to wifi (Im not sure how but ok) nothing has changed on my network and my GF has been working PERFECTLY since Friday when the outages started. And EVERY single time I start noticing issues such as long processing I can go here and already see others commenting the same thing.

The logs on the GF don’t lie. They come from the OS on the machine. An average of 67dB means it was worse half the time.

Facebook is not an official support channel.

2 Likes

Come on dude so your telling me that the 4 or 5 people on here and atleast 10 plus people on fb are ALL having wifi issues?

So if my WiFi is low that’s fine, nothing has changed and it has been working perfectly up until these outages the past 2 days.

You’re right. The machine is making it up. Good luck.

3 Likes

Yea and I guess everyone else is making it up as well.

Yes, given that the installed base is over 20,000, that 15 people might be having wifi issues at the same time wouldn’t surprise me at all.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s a common issue, and 15 people out of 30,000 having the same problem at the same time doesn’t really add up to an unbelievable coincidence.

Your wifi signal doesn’t really have anything to do with how good your Internet connection is. All sorts of household appliances, not to mention other wifi-connected devices, can interfere with it. The logs don’t lie.

2 Likes

And everyone at the exact same time? I count 7 posts so far with having the SAME problem. Maybe not a full on server issue but something is defiantly happening, possible a reginal thing that’s why its only effecting the “Few” of us.

Is this why my image won’t render?

Then tell me why its been perfectly fine and now all of the sudden its having issues processing my designs, something that is done on the SERVER side.

Because your wifi is having issues so your Glowforge is having trouble getting your image to the server side for processing. And just because it worked perfectly before means nothing. Maybe your next door neighbor just got a new appliance or power tool that’s causing interference.

Try changing the channel on your 2.4GHz network.

1 Like

LOL, Yes what you say does in fact make sense, and if it was ONLY me then I would tend to agree with you. But like I said with everyone else reporting the same issue (Someone else just posted in my thread having issue) I still say its a problem on the server. I dont buy the whole the few random people having issues.

15 people out of 30,000 is .005%. That’s not a statistically significant number of users. Wifi issues are ubiquitous for Glowforges; they’re very sensitive to any kind of interference, so .005% of people having them simultaneously is not at all hard to believe.

1 Like

…especially when your logs specifically SAY that’s what’s happening.

The sooner you get your wifi straightened out, the sooner you’ll be back up and running. Continuing to try to pin it on Glowforge at this point is really kind of ludicrous.

2 Likes

Im on my stats page right now and my GF is connected to my dedicated network with a connection of 42-47dBm. Im no stranger to networking trust me, Maybe for some passing reason it had inference but at this moment right now I have a great connection.