Set Focus Marker Disappears

Hi all, hoping for some guidance. When I go to Set Focus, I see the red square/marker and when I hit where I want it to focus, the marker completely disappears. It continues normally - my laser head moves, I can see the red dot, and then nothing. The marker never re-appears so I can’t see where it focused at and it doesn’t let me print without inputting the material height.
I’ve made sure the lenses are clean and there is no issue with the white cable. I’ve tried in multiple browsers as well. Is there anything else I can do to get the set focus to work? It is not giving me any errors until I go to print, at which point it tells me to select a material or input the thickness. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Are the two little windows underneath the printhead nice and clean? Can you choose a Proofgrade material (even if you are using something else) and get it to print?

1 Like

We are currently having the same problem let me know me if you figure it out Thanks! First time this has ever happened to us in a year of usage.

This exact behavior started happening to me an hour ago. I’ve never had this happen before on either of my glowforge units. I set the focus, the focus square immediately disappears. I can see the unit focusing properly, but the view never updates and I can’t print.

The view does update if I use a manual material height, but I’ve never had good results with that when I’m trying to precisely line up engravings, so I’m loath to try it and risk ruining a piece.

I spoke to Glowforge support on their online chat when they opened this morning. I spent an hour going through different tests with the guy and he wasn’t able to help. He opened up an email ticket for me and I haven’t heard anything back yet. I’ll reach back out to them tomorrow but I would suggest that everyone with the same issue reach out to support as well. The guy I spoke with had no idea what was happening and said everything was looking fine on his end. It doesn’t seem to be a physical issue with the machine since I can see it focusing correctly, and it doesn’t seem to be a browser issue either since we tried 3 different browsers.
I am able to use a manual material height or stick to a proofgrade material setting with the auto focus but I agree that it is not precise and so I’m basically out of service now on my Glowforge.
I’ll let you know when I hear anything back.

Thank you for all of the details you provided earlier today in chat. I wanted to let you know that we are looking in to the trouble that you have reported, but do not have any further details at this time. I will let you know as soon as I have more information to share.

1 Like

Thanks for the info it seems to me it’s definitely an issue on their end and a wide spread issue.

Thank you for your patience while we investigated the trouble with Set Focus. The trouble should now be resolved. Please refresh your browser window and Set Focus should now work as expected.

If you are still having trouble after receiving this message, please let us know.

On behalf of the whole team here at Glowforge, I apologize for the inconvenience.

1 Like