Set my first fire

Taped and stacked 12 different colored pieces of construction paper together. Playing with setting to find a complete cut through. Was only at best 3/4 through on the fourth job with 7th setting(multiple cut lines in same job)except corners where the pause to turn was just creating a pinhole. Well, speed 1 power 80 is waaay to slow. It cut the first 3" line, turned the corner and 1/4" later foosh!
So I hit the button, opened the lid, hit it with a quick blast of compressed air, then quickly shut the lid and ran a quick high speed cut elsewhere on the paper to sick out all the smoke. 30 seconds later the paper was in the sink. Back to the drawing board of settings!! :rofl:

PS- attempting to recreate Kandinsky’s Circles (I think that gets italicized)

7 Likes

Stacking sheets of paper is probably one of the surest ways to start a fire in the Glowforge. All those air pockets between the layers of paper provide lots of oxygen to sustain a fire, while being out of reach of the air assist which would normally blow fires out.

7 Likes

I’m happy to read you and the machine is okay. Paper stacking is not recommended for that very reason

2 Likes

Partly why I taped them together. Never pulled the sheets apart so they were still machine pressed together. Just figured I’d throw out a reiteration of the caution. (I knew it going in which is why i was sitting here staring at it.)

1 Like

Air assist was probably acting like a bellows, stoking the fire!

Yes if it is strong enough it blows it out otherwise it makes the fire worse.

It’s a fine line.

(I can say that I may have done something similar getting rid of leaves :grimacing:)

When you have something that smolders though, like leaves, or layers of something, as opposed to just a flame on an individual object, forced air can really get things going…

6 Likes