Set up questions (I'm kinda worried)

No. It’s purely comical.

1. That PC looks to have two 9pin serial already, making that 25pin connector a parallel port and not a 25pin serial port. Parallel ports are female. They’re using a M-M just to connect the black adapter’s female to it.

2. Power levels. Depending on the RS232 serial, it could be as high as 12V going into a USB device that runs at 5V.

3. Signaling. USB uses differential +5/-5V for data. RS232 serial ports on the PC use +V/GND for signal reference. Unless the serial port is RS422/485 which – given the history of PCs – is highly unlikely.

4. Software drivers. There aren’t any to handle the USB protocol on a standard COM port.

3 Likes

I’m sure I have every one of those adapters in various boxes and drawers. Along with some SCSI terminators and other sundry devices. :smiley:

7 Likes

Excellent, thank you for the recommendation Shell, looks capable and that’s within easy reach.
I lust after that 27" Cintiq, but for the money, I would have the laser! :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t typically buy any Apple products and go Android myself. I have a few older tablets knocking around and will get something to work with the GF.

4 Likes

The green USB to PS2 adaptors are not just connectors, they contain a protocol convertor chip. Assuming the PS2 to RS232 convertor is the same it might actually work.

The green USB/PS2 adaptors are just adapters. The actual “Intellimouse” (or other peripheral) itself did the protocol conversion through a chipset that could detect and speak both PS/2 and USB protocols. Not all peripherals instantly work with those adapters for that reason, typically only Microsoft and Logitech mice/keyboards (thanks to Logitech’s OEM manufacturing deal w/Microsoft).

Even if it were able to, there’s the parallel port, where the pinouts have zero correlation to a serial port (and the methodology is completely different), so nothing is signalling the right pins to begin with.

2 Likes

LOVE our ubiquiti AP! I had planned on installing a few as needed, but one ended up covering our entire 3k sq/ft wonderfully. I had no idea what a difference it would make. Not a single network reboot since installation 3 months ago.

The software also provides all sorts of useful information. Turns out we have almost 40 wifi devices connected to our network. Home automation, portable devices, TV/home theater, computers. Until installing the ubiquiti, I never thought about how much we rely on wifi.

5 Likes

Oh yes, I live and learn. I just cut one open and it just has wires inside. Had me fooled for years!

3 Likes

That is the reason I use these for my clients.

Thanks for showing your install.

A few months ago, I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet with S Pen for around $250. I’m a designer and not an illustrator so the stylus is plenty good for my needs. I also have an off-brand drawing pad connected to my desktop PC. Both work great for the amount of drawing I do.

4 Likes

I was looking for a tablet that I could use for drawing, and decided on a used Samsung Note, off of Craigslist. The thing was pretty good, and I liked it, because it has a ton of levels of sensitivity, and the screen is beautiful. More recently I tried a co-worker’s IPad Pro and pencil, and it was miles and miles ahead of the Note. The pencil can sense when it is at an angle, and it made a huge difference in what can be accomplished. The regular drawing app was great. I felt that the IPad Pro and pencil was nearly the same sensation as drawing in a sketchbook. I am not a traditional artist, unlike my coworker (Lynell Jinks) so I can’t justify that purchase. Maybe when I can find a good deal for a used one off of Craigslist…

5 Likes

@cynd11 This is the exact setup I am counting on, too. Now that you have a Pre-Release, can you confirm that this works? Thanks.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it for a while because I haven’t needed it, but I will be 'forging today (company coming) and I’ll do it again just to refresh my memory.

2 Likes

I have a set up similar to this. My desktop computer is a ways away from where my Glowforge is. (I wish I could be logged in the the app site on both at the same time, but alas). I have an iPad near the Glowforge…it works great. I am a bit spoiled though by my huge screen on the desktop. Sometimes, I do the main design work on my big one, download it to the site so that I can access it from my iPad. If it’s a long print, I just play Scrabble on my iPad while I’m waiting. Works like a charm.

3 Likes

Okay, just finished a print. It works pretty good! There are a few kinks to work out, like I’m unable to drag an operation to change the order of operations, but maybe there is a way I haven’t found yet. You can move the design around to fit your material. Looks like just about everything works.

3 Likes

Or you could use the IPad to read the forum!

3 Likes

@cynd11 @Xabbess Thank you for your replies/insights. My office and work space are right next to each other so hopefully it’ll work out, one way or another. I, too, appreciate/need the big screen (and mouse) for design work. I couldn’t get along without either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro. There’s an app called Astropad that lets you use the iPad to draw into many Mac apps. I’ve used it with Illustrator so far, and it works beautifully for me. Real artists may find it not up to their standards because there is a very short lag. The advantages of being able to draw directly on the screen, with an app I have used literally forever, and without wires all make me happy. :blush:

5 Likes

I can confirm at least that I can’t drag an operation to a different order.*

Edit: *using an iPad.

4 Likes

That’s odd…mine’s working. Are you just dragging the thumbnails up and letting go?

3 Likes