Settings for tile?

Hi,

I own a Spark.

I am trying to engrave a white porcelain tile. I put paper mask on it.

So far this is what I’ve got.

There was a lot of sparking? Is that a problem?

Used power 10/speed 30/vary power 1 pass.

It comes out black. I used a little ink to darken for the picture. This is small, 1 inch wide.

I don’t want to damage the machine with trying too many settings.

Can you tell me if this okay. Tile is thicker than the other material I have tried. Am I supposed to do something to show the height.

Way out of depth. Please help!

Toni

1 Like

If your material is over 1/4" tall, you need to take the tray out and then elevate the tile so that the surface is between 1/2" and 3/4" from the floor of the Spark… You don’t need to mask tile. There will be sparks as you are burning off the glaze. The Spark will not be able to engrave very deep. I think you need to increase your speed. You won’t damage the machine trying different settings.

4 Likes

Use that tile for testing different settings. Until you are familiar with the machine and settings, testing is the best way to learn. :wink:
Use something like a small square and test stepping the power up from 1 to 10 to see the effect.

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you! I will continue testing on that tile.

2 Likes

I did some testing on white tile today. I had to remove the tray and then raise the tile up. I engraved 30/10/2. I colored in the engrave with sharpies to define the engraved image. Without the sharpie color the engrave was not obvious.

4 Likes

I will definitely try. No masking?

Thanks.

Toni

1 Like

No masking needed for tile.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help. Exactly what I was looking for.

Did it 50/10/2x

Worked great. Very clean.

Toni

4 Likes