Severe print distortion

I am having a severe print distortion problem that has occurred suddenly and I have no idea how to fix it or why it is happening. I show what the print is supposed to look like, and what I got. The same file was used for both prints.

1 Like

It looks like the head got bumped mid-print. Was anything taller than 0.5", or overlapping onto the plastic edges of the crumb tray?

7 Likes

I agree with @geek2nurse. Something physical impeded the head’s normal movement.

2 Likes

That’s not distortion, that’s a slip. Something halted the movement of the carriage or gantry during the engrave and caused the engraving to be relocated, and from the results, it looks to have happened several times during the engraving. Could be a physical obstruction, hold-down pin or magnets, or a belt issue also.

1 Like

Hello! @segdristas I am very sorry to hear about the print issue you are seeing. I was able to review the print in question on the back-end and I don’t see anything in the bed that could have caused the printer head to be bumped. In this case, I would like to take a look at some of the mechanical parts that could have caused this issue.

In order to take a closer look at this for you, would you please send me the following photos?

First, power off your Glowforge and remove the crumb tray.

1. The belt under your laser arm with the head pushed to the left:

2. The pulley under the laser arm on the right side from the front:

3. The right side pulley under the laser arm from underneath:

Once you send back those photos I can determine the next steps. Thank you!

Hi @segdristas. It’s been a while since we’ve seen any activity here, so we’ll go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to create a new thread if you run into any further trouble, and we’ll be here to help. Thank you!