Sewing Gauge

Someone on Facebook had asked for a sewing guide and so I made one to share. Hopefully it will come in handy for someone! Designed in Inkscape. Update: They asked for a second smaller gauge in centimeters so I included it here also, (just in case someone else could use it). Also added a zip file with both SVG files in it in case someone needed it that way.

Sewing Gauge.zip (12.3 KB)
Sewing GaugeSewing Gauge CM

38 Likes

I am sure there are many users that will find this useful. Thank you!

6 Likes

Just yesterday in a Facebook group, someone named Art ValdiviaValdivia asked for something very similar - I hope I was able to help them but they didn’t say so I can’t know for sure.

4 Likes

That is who I made the original of this one for. The original one I made for them was in Spanish, I then put the words in English and posted it here in case anyone else would want a copy.

8 Likes

Very nice share. Thanks!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Care to enlighten on how to use it?
I do not sew. Probably never will. Curious, just the same, heh heh.

4 Likes

Sure, the edge on the left side of the 1 to the edge on the right side of the 1 is 1". Then to the right side of the 3 is 3" and to the 5 is 5" etc, It is just a handy tool to measure when sewing.

3 Likes

Great idea! I’m dropping the 5/8" seam allowances called for in US patterns, and going with 1/2" now.

4 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

3 Likes

I said way back that the glowforge was going to be great for one off guages, templates, and rulers. Thanks for continuing to prove me right.

8 Likes

I have built many 1 off items for things I needed around the house. the Glowforge is perfect for me to come up with things that make what I have to do much easier!

4 Likes

Thanks for asking as I was afraid to ask myself. :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for the share!

4 Likes

Me again.
What does a seam allowance look like when is in the sunlight?

2 Likes

Like you are wearing your clothes inside out.

The seam allowance is the measure of the amount of material between your sewing stitch and the edge of the fabric.

Home patterns call for 5/8-inch, I always thought to give more room for error and less risk of fraying.

Professional patterns for clothes you buy in the store, most seam allowances are 1/2-inch, except around necklines and armholes, where you need less bulk, and those are 1/4-inch.

But that’s before it goes through finishing, so you’ll probably never notice it is that large.

7 Likes

Imagine the quilting templates that can be made. Those things are pricey!

5 Likes

Parts_of_a_plain_seam

10 Likes

So kind of you to share. Thank you.