Shadow box lamps - on my to do list

Here’s something I’m fascinated with and can’t wait to try. I wonder if it will be necessary to figure out a “focal length” for the shadow box design? I love when art and practicality meet together as beautiful as these do.

63 Likes

I love it!!!, Its very nice… man now I want to do one too

4 Likes

That’s an interesting and attractive way of joining the sides!

7 Likes

The creator has several designs shown on this site: http://www.boredpanda.com/shadow-lamps-design-diy-laser-cutter-pranaya-design/. I like all of them.

5 Likes

I thought the same thing.
The prominence of the finger joints in boxes detract from the appearance IMO, and if you can’t hide it - accentuate it.

8 Likes

The effect is magical, but is it photoshopped? Or would the design really project that crisp in a room that big?

3 Likes

Good thought…good question

1 Like

I don’t doubt that it’s possible, but I doubt that anything that bright to cast a shadow that clear will be able to last long without setting fire to the wood box.

3 Likes

It seems the projection is obscured by an overly dark chair piece on the right. But I also don’t see it as particularly crisp. You can see it’s projection on the couch to the left and up in the picture. So maybe my mind is just misinterpreting.

2 Likes

I agree that the photo may be doctored a bit, but I think the shadow on the wall is real. There are some very bright tiny white LEDs (maybe 1/10" dia or so) that will give a good sharp shadow.

I use the red and green varieties to cast 3D shadows with my “3D Shadow Lamp

6 Likes

I have a design similar to the tree that I was debating on what it should be used for. This is the perfect idea!

3 Likes

adds to list
DAN! I’m going to need more wood!

6 Likes

The cuts are thin enough that it certainly could project, what I would like to see is the light source. I think the photo was enhanced a bit, but I don’t think it was faked (could be wrong). Most little tea lights wouldn’t cast anywhere near enough light, and too large of a bulb and I think it would blur the projection too much.

That’s not photoshopped. They can look that “crisp”.

1 Like

What would be fun is to vane the top and make the enclosure a balanced shade out of slightly thinner wood —and with an incandescent bulb it would slowly rotate.

7 Likes

I like it! Adds a whole new dimension to hand shadow shows of dogs, rabbits and doves etc. Has me wondering what the professional shadow players of S.E.Asia could do with that system.

2 Likes

What if the lampshade was balanced on a center point so it could rotate ( with just a slight touch) or move/wobble a bit. (Like a hollow pyramid on a stick) At least the point that is balancing is like the pyramid . Would make moving patterns on the wall (disco-ish effect).

4 Likes

Very cool!

You’ll want to find as small/bright of a light as you can find. As close to a “point source” as possible. Multi-watt LED emitters (from Cree, for instance) would probably be a good way to go.

I had a longer post written, but I see that @fan-of-glowforge’s project basically shows what you’d need to do (just use a single white LED instead (well, assuming you want to have white silhouettes)).

2 Likes

Awesome. This is very much in line with many ideas I have!

Reminded me if this large lasercut piece. Not sure if this has been shared before on the forum: http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/en_uk/blog/laser-cut-sculpture-casts-intricate-prize-winning-shadows

11 Likes