Shadowbox Acrylic Coasters and Snap Together Holder

I am glad you like it! Let me know if you have any questions when putting it together. Welcome to the community and Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Made a set of these in August and yesterday had Christmas lunch with the friend they were for–she is a reindeer fanatic–and she adores them! Thank you again for sharing these files!

1 Like

You are welcome! I’m so glad she liked them!

These are beautiful, I love the holder, but I currently only have thick acrylic, so rather than try to figure out how to resize everything, I created a simple baseplate out of the same acrylic, one of my first projects with the GF, and the baseplate is the first thing I created from scratch.

21 Likes

That is a great workaround! Love those!

1 Like

Here’s my version of this. The each layer has part of a Christmas tree (tree, lights, ornaments, outline), with six of them laid out in a radial pattern.

Thanks for the design!

17 Likes

That looks amazing!!! Great job!

wow. Love that design!

2 Likes

Just finished this…it turned out great! Thank You

1 Like

Do you mind me asking what size you made the coasters? Thanks

The base is for 3"x3" coasters.

Edit: wait! You’re probably suffering from the same thing as me… The original coaster set is sized for 3.75". However, export size between Illustrator and importing in Inkscape does not match, not by a long shot. Since I designed this, I have switched to a new Inkscape version and set my defaults differently too. So depending on what you open the file in, the sizing can be different. I know @designvh619 , ended up converting a lot of his files to pdf - which ensures correct handling regardless of what program.

3 Likes

bravo pour la realisation c tres bien reussi !!

2 Likes

Merci beaucoup!!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this idea! I am brand new to Glowforge and just learning Inkscape. I think this is more of an Inkscape question. On the right, you see that I have clipped part of the picture out to fit on my coaster. Yet, when I load the file into GF, it shows the stuff that was ‘clipped’ out. Any suggestions? I have been playing with it for awhile, and I am sure someone on here knows. I think I was expecting clip to work like crop, and it is not! I also tried it as a PDF with the same result.

I am excited to print my design using your coaster idea.

3 Likes

I am not really an inkscape guy. But if the cut line is inside of the engraved area it doesn’t matter that it engraves something that will get cut away. Unless you want it to be exact.

2 Likes

The :glowforge: doesn’t recognize masks, you have to actually change the shape or it’ll run the full engrave.

You can either actually cut the image - or make a bitmap from the clipped one (it’s in the command lines, but I don’t know where…)

This should help: Adobe Illustrator to Inkscape: clipping paths and masks

3 Likes

…duh! Sigh…thank you for an obvious answer!

1 Like

thank you!

It used to be if you used a clipping path the GFUI threw out lots of whiny messages about not supporting clip paths. Now it does something else, but I don’t use clip paths so I don’t pay much attention. I’ve only had to deal with them in files made by someone else.

No real help I know, but that’s the history.

2 Likes

Do you still have the file for the Star Wars Coasters