Shadowbox Acrylic Coasters and Snap Together Holder

Hi! The best advice I have heard is to defocus the laser when engraving for a smoother finish. That means, set the focus height to .5 inches for the engrave step. You can also search the forum for something like “defocus engrave” for examples of how it works. However, you might want to share a picture of what you are seeing so the other (much more knowledgeable) folks here can weigh in as well.

1 Like

Thanks so much. Do I have to worry about burning through 1/8" acrylic with a focus height at 0.5? I did the screwed up print before Christmas and just got back from visiting my dad. I looked for the screwed up print before pressing send on my reply to you but couldn’t find. I will put in more effort tomorrow But thanks so much for the suggestions.

1 Like

If you are worried, you could do a small test. But setting focus height means the laser will focus above your 1/8 inch material, so the beam that hits it is wider, and can make the final product appear smoother. The other thing that might help is to experiment with higher LPI if you aren’t comfortable doing that. I usually use the proofgrade settings on acrylic, because it is all pretty standard.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kindness of your quick reply. I’ll let you know how it goes. Be well and stay safe!

2 Likes

So cool!

2 Likes

I printed this out for a friend from Vermont. She said point blank that she will never allow anyone to use the coasters as she has the set in the box situated to get the best light to illuminate the imagery. You made her Christmas. I am experimenting with a layered image of a runner with dogs on either side and trees in the background. Thanks for stirring my creativity.

8 Likes

That is awesome!!! I definitely want to see all the new designs you come up with!

1 Like

Such a great idea!!! The palm trees made me think of my mom’s place…I will have to go find my pictures and see if they will make some great coasters. I’d love to see what the palm tree one looks like by itself… Beautiful! My in-laws would like the tractor one I am betting.

so very cool! you are very creative!

1 Like

These are so pretty! :star_struck: Thank you so much for sharing with us!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your design! I adapted it for a biker-colleague. After the birth of his third child his biker-times are changed an it is time to exchange his chopper with a Thai-inspired motorcycle with room for the whole family. I wanted to mark the occasion with a removable panel.
The basic design was purchased on Etsy .

9 Likes

Looks great! Love the transformation!

1 Like

Victor,

All I can say is that you sir, are a BAD MAN!! All in the best of compliments. I used this design to gift to family members and friends last Christmas and they were stunned. I used your original shadowbox deer design at the time. My neighbor asked me to make her a set for her friend and wanted to pay me for the work. I gladly went over to Excited Atom Design by ExcitedAtomDesign on Etsy to purchase your commercial license for the file. I know we have chatted in the past a few times, but I just wanted to say thanks and share the beach scene that I made for her.

Wishing you all the best sir!

Mike

23 Likes

That looks amazing!!! I always intended to do several different scenes for the coasters, but I cannot even hope to do better than what I have seen. This one is truly amazing!!!

5 Likes

Do you have a picture of all the layers? This is a really fun set of coasters.

Shoot me a PM with your information. I’d be glad to share.

1 Like

Nice!!! I’ve always wanted to make a shadow box with my Cricut and some lights I have since I also make upcycled lamps. I just never knew how to create my own and never knew how much to sell them for if I wanted to sell them. But this? This is next level creative and beautiful. Thank you for sharing! I’m excited to use this design to create my own twist to this. I’m truly amazed at everyone’s creativeness in this forum.

2 Likes

just love these do you have a site?

Totally amazing!

1 Like

Thank you so much, I got up this morning and I usually ask myself, “what will I make today” when I saw these, I knew the answer. love them so much.

1 Like